A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

The picture of Audi crashing speaks for itself. Lets set a few things straight.

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2002, 06:52 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default The picture of Audi crashing speaks for itself. Lets set a few things straight.

Everyone will have various opinions. I tend to have the view like TraderAlex.

I'm not one who things Audi is the King of all cars, b/c it's not. i love my 4.2, the styling, ride, etc. It's slow compared to its competitors, and resalee isn't that good, brakes are fair. Quality is lacking as stated by JD Powers. GM better than Audi, now that's a slap in Audi's face!

The Merc weight has nothing to do with its results. They build a far superior safer car than Audi. Admit it Finman!

The Audi was poor in the crash results. Look at the picture. I'll say it again, WEAK!

As far as a SUV, I would rather put my wife in Kids in a big old pig than my Audi any day!!!!!!!!!! Think of the results if they would have tested a Expedition or Navigator against the Audi, the driver would probably be dead! Would the SUV occupants get hurt, probably not.

And don't give all the BS about rollovers! Your Audi would roll at 80 mph if you yanked the wheel hard too. So much for quattro. When is the last time you heard of SUV's rolling over alot besides the Exployer which had obvious design problems.

Your wife would be safer in a big SUV, b/c that SUV would smash the Audi doors into your wife and kids. Think about it. It would! Your wife would be DEAD! Now put your family in a SUV and have the Audi hit the side. Hmmmmm. Probably hit the frame of the SUV and no major damage with a safe family.

As Finman so states, weight is everything and that SUV will drive its frame into your Audi!

Everyone has an opinion, this is mine. Hate me for it or agree, I don't care. That's what this board is all about.

Now get out and drive, its a beautiful day!
Old 06-01-2002, 07:04 AM

Default You are a terribly mixed up person. It it people like you (more)........

that buy all the SUV's because they think they are safe, and big is better. Don't be misled by facts. The SUV's won't stop, won't go where you point them, and pollute the world with three times the emission rate of passenger cars. While they are at it they burn up a lot more than their share of fossil fuels. Have a good day!
Old 06-01-2002, 07:27 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Default why you are wrong

I am only talking about LARGE SUV's here. Yukon/Expidition/Suburban. The Explorer class stuff is crap.

1. The SUV's won't stop - True, but if you do hit something you are safer.

2. - won't go where you point them - See #1

3. pollute the world with three times the emission rate of passenger cars - WRONG! Only true comparing vehicles. But you MUST look at passanger miles and payload miles. That is, if you have 5 people in an SUV vs. 1 in a car the SUV is more efficient. If you make two trips in a car vs. 1 in an SUV, the SUV is more efficient.

4 - See #4 - While they are at it they burn up a lot more than their share of fossil fuels.

I hate SUV's. I love markets. People are not stupid for buying them, or driving them.
Old 06-01-2002, 07:40 AM

Default Sorry....wrong century. Your thinking/opinion is like the 50s when cars were as heavy as tanks and

people died like flies.

Do yourself a favor and read about crash dynamics.
Old 06-01-2002, 07:41 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

As you said, your opinion! I totally disagree.
Old 06-01-2002, 07:44 AM

#3. Why five in an SUV and one in a car....a car can hold five. Apples to apples please.
Old 06-01-2002, 07:50 AM
RKA
AudiWorld Uber User

Default You can't relate safety to how impervious a vehicle is to damage.

I don't know what this thread relates to, since I don't frequent this forum...however, here are some thoughts based upon reading your thread only...

First, I agree with you, momementum will "win", however, that does not make an SUV safe. Most SUV's are just big rolling tanks. Their structure is not designed to absorb crash energy like your Audi. Either the structure absorbs that crash energy, or your family does. Take your pick.

Furthermore, the roofs of SUV's are not capable of withstanding the weight of the vehicle on top. In other words, IF your SUV flips over, in most cases, the roof will buckle under the weight of the vehicle. I have seen it many many many times. Passenger cars (and their passengers) will fair 1000x's better in the same scenario. Of course, it does not help matters that SUV's are far more likely to turn over, based on their higher center of gravity alone.
Old 06-01-2002, 07:56 AM

Typical driving, my SUV would fair better than my Audi in accidents in regards to safety.
Old 06-01-2002, 07:58 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Obviously, you haven't seen too many crash tests, or taken many physics classes...

The S-Class FAR outweighs the Smart and guess what...the occupants of both cars received about the same injury when NCAP crashed both of them in to each other in a frontal offset!

Also, when an Expedition (POS) hit my 8 series, guess who walked away and guess who was on a stretcher? That's right, the lady in the Expedition had a broken leg because of passenger cell intrusion, NOT me in my much lighter and MUCH MUCH lower 850!
Old 06-01-2002, 08:00 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Right, take a trip to Orange County CA, there are Suburbans everywhere, with only Mommy driving them

I pax, not 5, flawed theory there!

Quick Reply: The picture of Audi crashing speaks for itself. Lets set a few things straight.