A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

Please! buying advice on A6 Avant

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2007, 11:35 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Please! buying advice on A6 Avant

Hello Audi-philes

I'm on the verge of purchasing an A6 Avant and would like a last word from Audi enthusiasts. My wife and I are in the market for a used station wagon and I find myself drawn to the A6. I currently have a 2002 Subaru TS wagon which I'm very happy with, but due to another new arrival in the family this summer will be a little too small for us. Originally I was looking at buying a Subaru Outback seeing that I have had no problems with my current Sub, but after doing a little researching the A6 Avant stands out (mb I want more than I can really afford). I have always thought of Audi's as being problematic, but it seems after some reading that mb some models are not so bad.

From what I've read the 2002 Avant would probably be the best bang for my buck ($11,000 - $14,000). It seems that in my price range it would be the most reliable Audi wagon I can buy. Is this a smart choice and what sorta of problems will I likely encounter first? A friend sent me a Consumer Reports link that show that the 99 Avant is a good choice, but I have read elsewhere that it has it's fair share of problems.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Sincerely - Jonny F
Old 06-16-2007, 11:57 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default 02s are pretty decent....the 3.0 engine makes a big difference.

pretty well built. brake problems (rotors warping) have been my biggest issue.

if you find one that's been well maintained, it's one helluva buy considering these cars stickered around 45K 5 years ago.
Old 06-16-2007, 12:13 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default consider repair costs...

for a family in the making, a SUB will have a MUCH lower cost for maint. and repair and probably insurance than the Audi will.

However, IMHO, the Audi will make you feel better while you drive it and look at it and talk about it. The emotion of owning an Audi is very strong.

You just have to weigh the emotional draw of the Audi to the strength of financial logic of owning a SUB.
Old 06-16-2007, 12:29 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Paulroad speaks the troof....

Audis are nice cars, but they require maint. and they break just like everything else. Parts aren't cheap. With a family no doubt dollars are important.

I new or newer subie makes alot more sense than a 5 year old car, especially if it has no warranty, and/or you don't know the history.

My Avant is 5 years old, only has 18K miles, and has been pampered and maintained. I wouldn't worry about it. However, cars like this are extremely rare.
Old 06-16-2007, 05:00 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default if can do your own car repair

then get the Audi if it fits your family budget. If you are anywhere tight on money skip the Audi as even DIY can be expensive.

Common 2.8/3.0L issues are

1. leaking cam seals and cam tensioner seals

2. timing belt and all related components at 80k miles (inc. water pump)

3. shimmy (tie rods or worn control arms)

4. brakes pulsating

5. instrument cluster (needs total replacement by dealer $$$)

etc
Old 06-16-2007, 06:12 PM

Hijack--Paul, what's an "HP-2 caliper reverse mod"? Never heard of that one.
Old 06-16-2007, 07:18 PM
AudiWorld Super User

It takes the car back to the future, from later brake caliper design back to older (better) HP2.
Old 06-16-2007, 07:22 PM

They never should have gotten rid of the HP2's...Just another cost cut I suppose : (
Old 06-16-2007, 11:51 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 2nd on DIY - I had never owned an Audi before getting one 2-1/2 years ago

Get the right tools - a Bentley service manual and VAG-COM to access the ECU trouble codes and the rest is easy. A lot has been flushed out of the C5 generation & I've found AudiWorld to be a very handy resource.

Do not expect to own one and just put gas in it & occasionally change the oil. Things will come up every now & again. The difference between a Subaru & Audi are dramatic.

No one, including our 21-month old daughter was injured in this recent accident that totaled our car. We were hit by a 67 year old woman who failed to acknowledge a red light @ 45mph. There was nothing I'd rather have been in.
Old 06-17-2007, 07:31 AM

Ahhh, so more like a "retro" mod.

Quick Reply: Please! buying advice on A6 Avant