A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

Please HELP!! Powersteering problem...

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2006, 12:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Please HELP!! Powersteering problem...

A few days ago, I accidentally unplugged the powersteering hose and ultimately drained the reservoir (or at least most of it) after turning on the car. At that time I didn't realize the reservoir had emptied out, and left the car like that parked in the garage. Only a few days later, while trying to turn the steering wheel while the car was on, I noticed it was very tight (muscling it a little bit), it was then that I linked 2 and 2 together and checked the Powersteering Reservoir. At first, upon opening the cap, I noticed some steam came out (very little) and that the PS reservoir was empty.

After this happened, I left the car parked in the garage for about 3 days, as I had to leave for a trip early next morning. Well...yesterday, I went to the VW dealership and purchased some G002-012 and topped off my PS reservoir. Thinking that this will put an end to my problem...unfortunately, some new symptoms occurred:

1.) Upon starting up the engine, two things happen:
a) A rattling noise is coming from the engine (front).
b) The steering wheel has a slight vibration and turning it produces a screeching and even louder rattling noise.

2.) The PS fluid is foaming up, but dissipates fairly fast.

3.) So far, everytime I top off the PS reservoir, I would start up the engine, turn it off, and then check the PS fluid level, again it would be lower than before (done this about 6-8 times).

What could be the problem? Fluid level still to low (takes time to circulate)? Pump is broken and needs to be replaced?

Lastly, with the above describe symptoms, would it be safe for me to drive it? I need to drive back to school by tomorrow afternoon (about 150 miles).

Any comments or answers would be greatly appreciated. TIA.
Old 10-01-2006, 01:06 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default if the pump is broken I guess you should find a wet spot under the car?

Any other places for the fluid to go except out? How much have you poured into it so far?
Old 10-01-2006, 01:13 PM

Default Unless it's still leaking out somewhere, you just need to keep adding fluid...

...I believe it holds something like 1.5 liters. The proper procedure is to stop the engine from starting (pull the fuel pump fuse) so that you can crank it over a little bit, add more fluid, crank it again, add more fluid, etc. When the engine is running it can empty the reservoir faster than you can pour in the fluid.

Once the fluid level is normal you'll need to turn the wheel lock to lock 5-10 times to purge all of the air out of the system.

Hopefully you haven't smoked the pump by running it dry..................
Old 10-01-2006, 02:06 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Well . . .

More than likely the system needs to be bled. DO NOT DRIVE IT or you will risk damaging the pump or worse, control of the vehicle and have an accident.

The key is to not run the pump dry with high resistance on it. As such, you should raise the car off the ground on jack stands so that you can operate the steering wheel while the engine is off/on safely.

What you do is start the car and run it for a few seconds so the pump can attempt to pressurize the system. Then shut off the engine and top off the oil. Repeat this until the oil level is constant.

THEN with the engine off, turn the wheel end to end 10 times. Top off the oil again.

LASTLY, start the engine and turn the wheel back and forth end to end 10 times. Shut it off and top off the oil. Repeat again the last part until the oil level is stable.

IF the oil level doesn't stabilize then you most likely have a leak somewhere and you should check it.

BTW I got this procedure directly from the Bently CD.

Good luck! Hope you didn't fry the pump.
Old 10-01-2006, 03:18 PM

Default I've poured in about 11 fl. oz. already...

the guy at VW said that a 12 fl. oz. bottle would be sufficient for one car...but I'm guessing that's wrong.
Old 10-01-2006, 03:22 PM

Default How would I know if I fried the pump, are there any tell-tale signs?...

Why is the PS fluid foaming? Is this normal, or is b/c there's air?

Also, which method is the correct way to check the PS fluid: twisting the cap all the way back on (which is what I'm doing) or simply just stick the dip-stick back in? There is a significant difference between the two; I would like to be as accurate as possible. Sorry for the n00b question (blush). TIA.
Old 10-01-2006, 06:26 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default simple answers...

Park with a sheet of paper or cardboard under the PS area.

In the morning if there are NEW stains then you still have a leak.

If not then you ran it almost dry. Follow the direction of the other post, it take 12 OZ to fill the res to the pump, but a lot more to fill the pump and the lines to the steering rack and back.
Old 10-02-2006, 04:26 AM
Tech Guru

Received 107 Likes on 98 Posts
Default I doubt you fried the pump.

But by starting filling the res and starting the car you have created tons of air bubbles. It will be a while before they work their way out. If after you take muzzy's advice there will be bubbles. Keep checking and adding over the next few weeks.
Old 10-02-2006, 11:53 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default I agree, shouldn't have made it sound like I was sure he did.

More than likely that "smoke" that he was seeing was vapor from the foaming that's going on due to the air in the system.

It would take a good amount of driving and stress on the system to do real damage.

If you top off and check as the bentley procedure outlined you should be fine. Just be sure to address any leaks if there are any before going on long trips.