A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

Please Help! Tranny leak between engine and trans.

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2011, 06:52 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just to let everyone know. It was the radial shaft seal (the one in the transmission where it seals the torque converter to the transmission. The seal actually looked fine, until I got the new one. The lip is angled more into the middle of the seal on the new one, and also the spring thingy was really loose on the old one, also it was not flush with the transmission, it came out about 1-2mm, there was also a black ring on the torque converter where the lip would touch so that would obviously cause sealing issues.
But since I got another transmission with less miles 90k and a rebuilt torque converter, versus mine with 165k I will replace the radial shaft seal on the 90k transmission and change oil again and sell my old one, after the 3 month warranty on this 90k transmission expires and I'm happy with how it shifts and drives... Also changing engine/tranny mounts, cam shaft plugs on the back of the engine, cant find my apr snub mount so i'll probably get an apikol, I wont do the rear main seal as mine is not leaking and it looks like a headache, also I ordered subframe mounts but wont change them because the new ones look a little different and it also looks like a HUGE headache to get them out and new ones in (i'll order the bolts and replace them). So I'll put the engine/tranny back in, see how it runs and then do timing belt and some other little things. Ohh and i'm gutting the precats tomorrow for sure, will use spark plug non foulers, dont want to weld anything...
Old 09-18-2011, 06:56 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I really dont think its because of how I hit reverse really hard that caused the leak, it was just that the seal happened to start going bad when I did that. The car turning off while driving is still sort of a mystery though, maybe my torque converter was actually going bad which caused the whole thing, I dunno, dont care, gonna be happy, and finally chip my car with gutted precats and cone filter in box, and a couple other little mods (close to 400hp hehehe)...