A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

Is it possible to drop the S6 5.2L V-10 into my 2002 A6 3.0

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2010, 05:14 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is it possible to drop the S6 5.2L V-10 into my 2002 A6 3.0

I'm power hungry and would like to know if its possible to put the s6 V-10 into my 2002 A6 3.0 Quattro.....if not the v-10 , then the 4.2L v-8?? I'm trying to build a sleeper
Old 05-03-2010, 06:13 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I suppose I could just save up and buy the s6..... Also currently looking for a sunroof switch, headlight switch, and cluster... hoping to salvage these parts
Old 05-03-2010, 10:21 PM
AudiWorld Member

The answer is no. Just no. If you have to come to a forum and ask, then again, the answer is definitely no.

The problem with swapping engines in an Audi is that they make the body and frame widths different for each size engine. The v8 is a few inches wider and would therefore take an entire revamping of nearly everything connected to the powertrain including body panels, frame, etc. So again, no.
Old 05-03-2010, 11:18 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

lol thanks... it was more of a "wouldnt it be cool if..." question but thanks, guess I gotta step up to the big boys budget.... or just wait till that v-10 gets old and comes waaay down in price...
Originally Posted by nm3210
The answer is no. Just no. If you have to come to a forum and ask, then again, the answer is definitely no.

The problem with swapping engines in an Audi is that they make the body and frame widths different for each size engine. The v8 is a few inches wider and would therefore take an entire revamping of nearly everything connected to the powertrain including body panels, frame, etc. So again, no.
Old 05-04-2010, 04:34 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

or drop 2.7t in and upgrade it to GT kit... probably just about the same $$$ but more power.
Old 05-04-2010, 05:42 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I've found forums don't receive "wouldn't it be cool if..." questions well. My weight reduction thread is receiving nothing but flak from the experts. The same was the case with my transmission swap thread, that is, until I completed the swap.

What you're talking about will require lots of planning, considerable expense, and likely quite a bit of modification to the car itself. For instance, the 4.2 A6 is a couple of inches longer to accommodate the v8. Some other considerations would be the gearbox you'd use, mounting it and the engine to the car, matching the rear differential ratio to that of the gearbox, hooking up all the accessories, plumbing, and electronics, coding it, and cooling it.

I'm sure there are lots of other considerations, but those are the things I can think of right off hand. What is your mechanical and design experience thus far?
Old 05-04-2010, 04:05 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I have 0 experience for the most part, and all these responses have been helpful, I was just looking for a way to get the most bang for my buck, I might just get a chip for now and wait till I can get my hands on a 07 s6 for under $30k, thanks all!

Originally Posted by Redneck Truck
I've found forums don't receive "wouldn't it be cool if..." questions well. My weight reduction thread is receiving nothing but flak from the experts. The same was the case with my transmission swap thread, that is, until I completed the swap.

What you're talking about will require lots of planning, considerable expense, and likely quite a bit of modification to the car itself. For instance, the 4.2 A6 is a couple of inches longer to accommodate the v8. Some other considerations would be the gearbox you'd use, mounting it and the engine to the car, matching the rear differential ratio to that of the gearbox, hooking up all the accessories, plumbing, and electronics, coding it, and cooling it.

I'm sure there are lots of other considerations, but those are the things I can think of right off hand. What is your mechanical and design experience thus far?
Old 05-04-2010, 04:35 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

anything is possible with enough time and money.

That being said considering that the 5.2 was never available in a C5 chassis car (the 5.2 s6 is a c6) it would be much more complex then fitting an engine that was available in a c5 (2.7t, 4.2). Beyond physical fittiment you will also run into electrical/wiring compatibility issues because of the different chassis.

Simply put, you could put a worked 2.7t in it that put out close to if not the same amount of power for MUCH cheaper. It's almost guaranteed to be more reliable as well.
Old 05-05-2010, 04:17 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

no... wait... how about 2 2.7's?
Old 05-05-2010, 04:54 AM
AudiWorld Super User

...to be fair

"What you're talking about will require lots of planning, considerable expense, and likely quite a bit of modification to the car itself."

Is pretty much the definition of "no". Those with teh drive, expertise and funds to over-ride all reasonable obstacles don't need the input from a forum such as this. So the prudent answer is "no, you and uncle jesse probably cant drop on in sunday afternoon". Which, with a 2.7t, you virtually could. On leap year.

And if you want fast, the 2.7 can be made darn fast. Just upgrade things like clutches, make sure its MT6, have at it. I would guess 400/400 is not out of reach, if you're willing to spend a small fraction of what you would on the 5.2.

G

Quick Reply: Is it possible to drop the S6 5.2L V-10 into my 2002 A6 3.0