A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

Post your dealer-isms....

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2003, 02:47 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Post your dealer-isms....

Got the pleasure of going to my local Audi dealer today...what a joy. Went in for other things but over the weekend I had the MIL come on (THEN GO OFF). Told them to take a look (I knew what it was since I VAG'd it myself).

The MIL was caused by 6 codes:
17645 - Injector 1 (Open Circuit-Intermittent)
17646 - Injector 2 (Open Circuit-Intermittent)
17647 - Injector 3 (Open Circuit-Intermittent)
17648 - Injector 4 (Open Circuit-Intermittent)
17649 - Injector 5 (Open Circuit-Intermittent)
17650 - Injector 6 (Open Circuit-Intermittent)

What's the dealer say??
<b>
"We reset the codes and it didn't come back one. Probably just a hiccup in the system!"</b>

Now realize the light had already gone off by itself earlier in the weekend. Man, I love my dealer!

Must be like a glitch in the Matrix!

Got the pleasure of going to my local Audi dealer today...what a joy. Went in for other things but over the weekend I had the MIL come on (THEN GO OFF). Told them to take a look (I knew what it was since I VAG'd it myself).

The MIL was caused by 6 codes:
17645 - Injector 1 (Open Circuit-Intermittent)
17646 - Injector 2 (Open Circuit-Intermittent)
17647 - Injector 3 (Open Circuit-Intermittent)
17648 - Injector 4 (Open Circuit-Intermittent)
17649 - Injector 5 (Open Circuit-Intermittent)
17650 - Injector 6 (Open Circuit-Intermittent)

What's the dealer say??
<b>
"We reset the codes and it didn't come back one. Probably just a glitch in the system!"</b>

Now realize the light had already gone off by itself earlier in the weekend. Man, I love my dealer!

Must be like a glitch in the Matrix!

:-)
Old 12-01-2003, 03:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I guess that I've been lucky...

My support dealership is very helpful, although mine is the only 4.2 on the island and the owner is a buddy.

This is not much in the way of solace, but the BMW forum is not without its share of angst and hatred of dealers. In fact, most current 545 buyers are locked in several struggles with critics of the Bangle re-design, and the lack of real wood trim in a $60K+ car, and justifying the high price paid for an Ultimate Driving Car with shoddy interior and highly controversial exterior. Oh, and they bitch about dealers too.

Not much different with Mercedes-Benz quality control, except that as a whole the dealership support network is far more ***-kissing.

--BEAU
Old 12-01-2003, 03:06 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Good one, LOL.
Old 12-01-2003, 03:18 PM
Craggy Old Man

Default After its reset it takes a little while for the CEL to come back on : )

I forgot how long, but I was getting it with an O2 problem. You can reset but a day or two later it was right back.(Maybe even later the same day).
Old 12-01-2003, 03:21 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Most codes take two driving cycles.....

...(i.e warm up and cool down). If the fault is present two times in a row you will get an MIL. These codes are that way.
Old 12-02-2003, 04:05 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default ran out of gas, then car wouldn't start after gas was put in...

So the dealer says, "it needs plugs, wires, and de-carbing for $1200" All I wanted to know was why won't the car restart after I put in gas, I said...dealer : "I don't know how the got it restarted, but if you don't get these things done, you may have it happen again".
They never did tell me how it started, but have since been told by others it was probably a vacuum switch as seen in most newer cars.
Old 12-02-2003, 04:32 AM

Default The germans always make sure you have brakes

Just like a race car, they may shake, and shudder, but they are always there.

Me: I'm not driving a race car, just replace the freakin rotors.

Maybe your driving style is a little too aggressive.

Me: Oh, let me adjust that.. ok, now I won't stop anymore.

Well you realize that this is the third time we have replaced the rotors?

Me: Well, you are the master audi tech, I realize my brakes suck, you need to realize a cure.
Old 12-02-2003, 05:16 AM

Default ...that'll be $1100......

....so I hear a low-level rattle coming from under my '99 A6 Avant. Try to get a look myself, no-go. I take it to the dealer who tells me that I need the driver's side cat replaced. I bum, and say do it (Visa bill is gonna suck in January). Two weeks later I'm cruisin' the A6 forum and discover that the cats are covered by a federally madated 12 year warranty! So I call the dealer....talk to the service manager. He says he'll look into it. Two hours later a service rep (notice I didn't say 'manager') call s back to say that he is crediting my card for the repair. No apology, no 'sorry for the inconvenience', no nothin'. So my question is: how many have they swapped out without the customer knowing that is a covered item (I'm the second owner with +65K). How many of you have had cats replaced? Did you know of this when it happened?
Old 12-02-2003, 05:18 AM
AudiWorld Super User

LMAO!!
Old 12-02-2003, 05:25 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default My dealer tried that a few years ago....I "reminded" them of...

..the federal emission warranty before they did the work though. In fairness, I called AoA the day before I brought the car in and they were the ones that initally told me about the federal emission warranty. I guess my dealer doesn't talk with AoA much :-)

BTW, cats are covered for 8yrs/80k miles.<ul><li><a href="http://www.epa.gov/otaq/consumer/warr95fs.txt">http://www.epa.gov/otaq/consumer/warr95fs.txt</a</li></ul>

Quick Reply: Post your dealer-isms....