A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

Potential owner looking for some answers :)

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2012, 09:32 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

To be honest there is nothing fun about this car. My moms old 1999 Grand Am GT was a blast compared to my 2001 A6 2.7T
You could never do what I did in the grand am with an audi c5... A race on the highways of NYC with me in a grand am gt would be a joke for me, no way any other car can beat me. Enough power, and light enough to slide though traffic.
Old 03-07-2012, 10:56 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

and why would you not take a 4.2?
Smooth, reliable, durable motor.

Auto you want or don't.
G
Old 03-07-2012, 11:46 AM
AudiWorld Member

its smooth and reliable because you cant do much with it. Its a 2+ton beast.
Old 03-07-2012, 11:51 AM
AudiWorld Member

With the grand am gt it was like this:

Visit to the mechanic, he tells me just one of my control arms is broken. In the back of my head i'm thinking, (okay maybe I shouldn't have been doing spins and donuts and abusing the hell out of the poor car the whole day at the abandoned airport)
He says its $50 to fix, ok do it dude!

With the Audi a6
Visit to the mechanic, he tells me there is oil leaking, he has no clue where its coming from, my cv joint boots are blown, control arms are bad but he doesn't know which ones, you have to change them all. etc, etc, etc.
In the back of my head i'm thinking, (okay seriously, i didn't do anything with this darn car!)
He says its $2500 to fix, i say fawwwk it dude!!!
Old 03-07-2012, 11:54 AM
AudiWorld Member

And then doing repairs myself.

Coolant leak with a grand am gt = go to any local auto parts store get coolant hose, 5 minute job to change yourself.

Coolant leak with an audi a6 = have no fawwking clue where the leak is, order a 10 different parts that can probably be the cause of the leak or take apart half the car to find the exact part, anyways, you have to wait a whole week for the parts to get here because no local parts store has anything for an audi, then you gotta work on the car for a whole day to fix it. ugghhh
Old 03-07-2012, 12:17 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 99 Likes on 76 Posts

I don't call dust/dirt/oil on the outside of the engine sludge. That's just dirt/grease. Sludge has to be inside.
Old 03-07-2012, 12:35 PM
AudiWorld Member

whatever, i dont have sludge then, its just dirty
Old 03-07-2012, 01:01 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by badinstincts
To be honest there is nothing fun about this car. My moms old 1999 Grand Am GT was a blast compared to my 2001 A6 2.7T
You could never do what I did in the grand am with an audi c5... A race on the highways of NYC with me in a grand am gt would be a joke for me, no way any other car can beat me. Enough power, and light enough to slide though traffic.
Maybe your 2.7 is sick. The 4.2 is a blast to drive, especially with coilovers and H&R sway bars. I drove it through NYC and gently raced my friend who drives an Accord (and he lives there). The 2-ton beast, as you put it, proved itself consistently, time and again.

And your Grand Am comparison? well, I just will let it slide, there's nothing to respond to
Old 03-07-2012, 01:07 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by badinstincts
And then doing repairs myself.

Coolant leak with a grand am gt = go to any local auto parts store get coolant hose, 5 minute job to change yourself.

Coolant leak with an audi a6 = have no fawwking clue where the leak is, order a 10 different parts that can probably be the cause of the leak or take apart half the car to find the exact part, anyways, you have to wait a whole week for the parts to get here because no local parts store has anything for an audi, then you gotta work on the car for a whole day to fix it. ugghhh

Sounds to me like you walked into your Audi without recognizing what you're getting into.

I don't know who would think that a 50K luxury foreign-made car will be equivalent to a 15K domestic grocery-getter, both in terms of parts costs and stock, and in engineering.

What's next, Lamborghinis are not your average Mustang?
Old 03-07-2012, 01:49 PM
AudiWorld Member

I'm not talking about redlight to redlight racing, i'm talking about racing on the FDR drive or BQE during the day or early night. After midnight obviously a car with more horsepower will win, but when it comes to cutting through traffic, the grand am gt will cut traffic like butter, the audi doesn't compare at all. With the grand am I dont need to worry about going too fast, on a good day I can drive all the way home from manhattan taking the fdr drive to the brooklyn bridge to the BQE to the Belt pwky and have an average speed of like 110 or so. You would NEVER be able to do that in an audi. I made the 16mile trip in around 10 minutes!!!!!!!!

Quick Reply: Potential owner looking for some answers :)