A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

Potential owner looking for some answers :)

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2012, 01:57 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

or better yet, try racing down 1st ave or 2nd ave at like 10pm, when there are just a little less cars. with the taxi drivers driving like theres no one else on the road, and the morons who are scared s###less and drive slow because of all the crazy drivers, you would end up 10 blocks behind me in a minute!
Old 03-07-2012, 01:59 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by GTA_Driver
Sounds to me like you walked into your Audi without recognizing what you're getting into.

I don't know who would think that a 50K luxury foreign-made car will be equivalent to a 15K domestic grocery-getter, both in terms of parts costs and stock, and in engineering.

What's next, Lamborghinis are not your average Mustang?
I knew exactly what i was getting into. i purchased TWO c5s with the 2.7T. I love my car, but its not a FUN car, its a luxury car, well, the luxury goes down by a lot as it becomes a 10+ year old car, heh
Old 03-08-2012, 04:19 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

correct. But a very nice one, and more than sufficiently fast.

You forgot to ay how bad the fuel economy is with the 4.2.

2.7ts a great motor. Often under appreciated. But the 4.2 is a great choice as well - depends what you want.

G
Old 03-08-2012, 06:32 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 101 Likes on 77 Posts

Hmm. We'll be reading about your demise in a flaming pile of metal relatively soon. R.I.P.

I'm just saying....
Old 03-08-2012, 07:41 AM
AudiWorld Member

my demise? I dont race anymore. I drive like an 80 year old who can barely see, lol. I usually just boost here and there to beat red lights, or if someone pisses me off and I need to get in front of them. gas is wayyy too expensive these days to be racing around nyc...
Old 03-08-2012, 11:50 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by badinstincts
I'm not talking about redlight to redlight racing,
Who says that's what I was talking about?

i'm talking about racing on the FDR drive or BQE during the day or early night.
And that's exactly what we did. I get pleasure driving my 2-ton 4.2 A6. Yes, it isn't stock in terms of suspension. It came with the factory non-sport suspension, and it is certainly less nimble. But even then, I know how to drive my cars, I know what each one can handle and how to push, I know how early i need to press the accelerator to get the results I need, and I know when to let go off the accelerator. I know when to tap the accelerator and how much to tap it to get the tiptronic to shift into exactly the gear I need it to be in, and I know when to let release it slightly to upshift...

If my 4.2 came with factory sport suspension, very likely I wouldn't bother with the H&R coilovers.

Perhaps you have/had alignment issues on your car? Perhaps the shocks are worn? Maybe you haven't learned to drive the tiptronic? I don't mean this condescendingly, by the way.

I don't understand why you are so adamant that the Grand Am is a better handling car. It's a lighter car, yes, but it isn't a Miata.

You're having a lot of issues with your Audi, and that's unfortunate. Seems like you got a lemon, or something close tp it, and too bad you can't get to enjoy the car. You could transform it into something you would love with a proper sport suspension.

After midnight obviously a car with more horsepower will win, but when it comes to cutting through traffic, the grand am gt will cut traffic like butter, the audi doesn't compare at all. With the grand am I dont need to worry about going too fast, on a good day I can drive all the way home from manhattan taking the fdr drive to the brooklyn bridge to the BQE to the Belt pwky and have an average speed of like 110 or so. You would NEVER be able to do that in an audi. I made the 16mile trip in around 10 minutes!!!!!!!!
Sell your Audi and get a Grand Am?

Average speed of 110 mph? That's where the limiter of your Grand Am will kick in. 16 miles divided by 10 minutes equals an average of 96 mph.
Old 03-08-2012, 11:52 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by Just Me

Better than my 2.7T Allroad. And both are atrocious.

Any Audi lags behind in fuel economy compared to other manufacturers, for the engine, the horsepower, and the car that you get, discounting the TDI A3.
Old 03-08-2012, 11:58 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by Just Me
correct. But a very nice one, and more than sufficiently fast.

2.7ts a great motor. Often under appreciated. But the 4.2 is a great choice as well - depends what you want.

G
C5 A6 2.7T - 16 mpg city, 22 hwy, avg 18
C5 A6 4.2 - 15 mpg city, 23 hwy, avg 18

As you see, they're about equivalent. Taken from fueleconomy.gov

Without attempts at starting a flame war, a naturally aspirated engine (in this case 4.2) is better for reliability than a boosted one, for the simple virtue of it being a less complex deisgn with fewer parts to break.

For long-term reliability and hyper-mileage, the 4.2 is great, is torquier, and sounds better than the 2.7T, though that one is subjective.
Old 03-08-2012, 01:28 PM
AudiWorld Member

the grand am gt is not limited at 110, i had the car up to 134 (not enough road to go faster), and it was not chipped or anything (factory didn't really limit it or something). I said about 10 minutes and most of the time I was between 110-120mph, there are some points where you have to stop (well, at least slow down a little, lol)...
seriously the handling of the 2 cars does not compare. I drove a miata once, well a couple times..., and just cant sit that low to the ground, it was stupid low, everything seemed weird.
Old 03-08-2012, 09:50 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, 1. If you like working on cars, then Audi is for you!!! There's always service pending, and if not, then there's always a rattle or other nuisance problem you'll want to fix to get the car perfect.
2. The best way to figure the value of any particular vehicle is to search the local autotrader, cars.com, craigslist, or other forums and see what they are going for. Remember, a car is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it.(also, mileage, options, repair history, cost of repair, and general condition are value contributing factors).
3. Vehicle history reports are only good for a broad, generalization of the vehicle history. I've seen cars that had been reported stolen, yet 2 months or more later, carfax showed NO history of theft! Your best bet is to take a member of the Audiworld forum whom has extensive knowledge of the car with you to look at your car in interest. I'm sure there are many here whom would do it for free if you are local. This way you have an enthusiast who is familiar with the car that can look for probable issues.
As a side note... I've had three Audis since '04, and I've never been happier with any car that I've EVER owned. The build quality, the engineering, the prestige, the level of passenger comfort... I've driven a lot of cars, but this one does IT for me!!

Quick Reply: Potential owner looking for some answers :)