A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

Prob with A6

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2006, 10:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Prob with A6

Hi

I have a 1998 A6 2.4 Tiptronic and it just started to cut power. when i drive the rev counter goes dead and it gets stuck in high gear. can anyone help me.

Thank you,
Old 09-12-2006, 03:01 AM
Tech Guru

Received 107 Likes on 98 Posts
Default You need to beg, borrow or steal a VAG-COM/Shade Tree tool to pull codes...

...from both the ECU and the TCU.
Old 09-12-2006, 05:39 AM

Default Re: You need to beg, borrow or steal a VAG-COM/Shade Tree tool to pull codes...

is there an online store that has 1?
Old 09-12-2006, 05:43 AM
Ace Ventura

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Try and find someone local....Post on your Regional Forum..where are you located?
Old 09-12-2006, 06:18 AM

Default Re: Try and find someone local....Post on your Regional Forum..where are you located?

South Africa
Old 09-12-2006, 06:46 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default There is a guy in Johannesburg willing to share his.....

<ul><li><a href="http://www.steve-hall.com/cgi-bin/VAG-Locator.pl">Vay-tool locator</a></li></ul>
Old 09-12-2006, 07:24 AM

Default Re: You need to beg, borrow or steal a VAG-COM/Shade Tree tool to pull codes...

For the last 20 years I have been driving European and Japanese cars. Prior to my Audi A6 3.2 Quattro, my car was a 2004 Mercedes Benz C320. I wanted to replace this with a 4 wheel drive vehicle. My wife surprised me with one for Christmas of 2005. Since she was already driving a 2005 Mercedes Benz E320 4Matic she decided to get another brand and chose the Audi A6.

I was happy with the features and performance of the Audi until August 28, 2006. As I was driving to work the engine light came on but the Audi still made it to the office. I brought the vehicle to an Audi dealer to look at the problem. It was fortunate that they offered a free compact rental car while they repaired the Audi. The repair was completed on September 6.

On September 8 at around 5:30 p.m. as I was driving the Audi to my weekend home the engine light came on again around 5 miles to my home. However, this time the engine started to sputter and then completely died. I could not get the Audi to start. A friend who was riding with me helped push the Audi to the side of the road.

I called the Audi 24 Hour Roadside Assistance and reported the problem. The person I spoke to said it would be between 6:00 and 9:00 p.m. before the car could be towed. I requested that it be towed to a dealer closer to where I live during weekdays but the Audi towing policy was to bring the car to the nearest Audi dealer. I was told that I would have to pay for the extra miles if I wanted the Audi towed to another dealer even after explaining that the car was just repaired there. I requested for a rental vehicle and was told to call Enterprise to rent a car and submit the rental expense to Audi for re-imbursement. I was also told that they would call me to confirm and keep me informed about the towing service. I never got any calls from the Audi 24 Hour Roadside Assistance.

At around 1:00 a.m. on Saturday morning, Sept 9, a friend called me to say that my car was still on side of the road. I called to inquire about the delay. I was advised that the car would be towed at 9:00 a.m. They again told me they would call me to confirm and keep me informed about the towing service.

I went to check the car at around 9:30 a.m. but found that it was already towed. Again no calls from the Audi 24 Hour Road Assistance. I guess this is what 24 Hour Roadside Assistance means - you are helped within 24 hours. That night I could not help but wonder how I would have made out if I was alone, far from home and the Audi broke down. Would I have to sleep in the car or stay with it for 15 hours before Audi could get a towing company to come around?

The Audi A6 has only 11,780 miles. I would expect that since it is almost new that some consideration should be given to me for a loaner car or at the very least have the car towed to the dealer where it was first repaired which is closer to where I reside on weekdays and which offer free rental cars. As it is, the dealer they towed it to is around 50 miles from where I reside, does not offer free rental cars and has no loaner car readily available. I explained all of these to the supervisor but my pleadings were turned down.

My experience is not something I expected of a high end sedan or from such a distinguished car company. In all my years of driving I have never had a car breakdown in less that a year or at such low mileage. This is the first time I have owned an Audi and frankly I may trade it in for another car after it gets fixed. I do not want to have something like this happen again or deal with your 24 Hour Roadside Assistance.

Audi's customer service is nothing compared to other European car dealers and the quality of Audi vehicles seems questionable. In case you drive an Audi I hope you do not have the same experience.
Old 09-12-2006, 07:46 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Why exactly are you posting this same message multiple times in multiple forums?
Old 09-12-2006, 08:23 AM
Tech Guru

Received 107 Likes on 98 Posts

I suggested he pull codes. How is this BS helpful?
Old 09-12-2006, 09:12 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Well, I had the exact opposite experience with 24 hour roadside....

they contract out to various tow companies, so you are at the mercy of local tow operators. In my case they responded within 45 minutes of my initial call, but the tow operator was local to where my car was located, and they must have placed a priority on my call (car was running, keys locked inside, DOH!).

Of course, I would be critical of your situation, but that is not Audi's fault, it is the tow operator's fault for not coming in "reasonable" time.

Just my two cents...

Quick Reply: Prob with A6