A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

Problems with Alarm,Central Locking and Key Fobs

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2013, 07:23 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Problems with Alarm,Central Locking and Key Fobs

I have recently bought a 1999 Diesel A6 Automatic.The previous owner did say the central locking wasn't working but the doors all opened ok manually.The remotes on both key fobs didn't work either.
After reading some posts about faulty central locking I located the CCM and discovered 2 of the plugs were disconnected.I replaced them and then tried synchronizing the Key fobs as suggested on another post.It didn't seem to work though the batteries are ok as I had replaced them both.
I locked the car with the key and everything appeared ok.
However next day when i had to Unlock the Boot(with the key)and then lock it again I noticed both Indicator lights come on so i assumed alarm had set.But when I unlocked door the indicators were flashing at a high rate( the audible alarm wasn't sounding and I later discovered the speaker had been disconnected).I could not switch the alarm off and nor could I unlock the passenger doors.I had to get the carpet up as best I could without being able to open the door and remove the plugs which I had put in.The alarm stopped and the car was able to be started and driven but I still can't unlock the nearside passenger doors.

Any ideas anyone pleaase
Old 05-30-2013, 11:14 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes. Buy vag-com from ross-tech, it's the only way if you want to do any diagnostics yourself.

Otherwise, be prepared to spend money at an Audi dealer or independent Audi mechanic.
Old 06-03-2013, 12:10 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by GTA_Driver
Yes. Buy vag-com from ross-tech, it's the only way if you want to do any diagnostics yourself.

Otherwise, be prepared to spend money at an Audi dealer or independent Audi mechanic.
Thanks for that,I was going that route of self-diagnosing but cannot find where to plug it in.I have found the hole under steering wheel where it looks like it should be, but there is nothing there,have taken off panel under dash and cannot find it.As you said looks like having to go to Audi.
Old 06-03-2013, 03:59 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by porcherman
Thanks for that,I was going that route of self-diagnosing but cannot find where to plug it in.I have found the hole under steering wheel where it looks like it should be, but there is nothing there,have taken off panel under dash and cannot find it.As you said looks like having to go to Audi.
The port is on the left under the steering wheel, close to the hood release. You said you took the cover off and still couldn't find it?
Old 06-09-2013, 11:53 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by GTA_Driver
The port is on the left under the steering wheel, close to the hood release. You said you took the cover off and still couldn't find it?
Yes I found the hole where it looks like it should have been as you say under steering wheel on left.The port hole was exactly that,a hole,I took off the surround so that I could look behind thinking it had somehow been pushed in but could not locate it.
Old 06-10-2013, 05:46 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by porcherman
Yes I found the hole where it looks like it should have been as you say under steering wheel on left.The port hole was exactly that,a hole,I took off the surround so that I could look behind thinking it had somehow been pushed in but could not locate it.
Wow. Any cut wires? It's got to be in there somewhere. When i bought my Allroad, the plug popped through but was just dangling inside. After taking the bottom cover off completely i could fix it.

I can't imagine a car not having it. Maybe someone tucked it inside to prevent rattling? I dunno...