A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

Pulley wobble

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2014, 02:25 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 101 Likes on 77 Posts

Look at a new one. They don't wobble. Given time between tb services, all idler pulleys should be considered for replacement at tb service.
Old 03-17-2014, 03:01 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SloopJohnB@mac.com
Look at a new one. They don't wobble. Given time between tb services, all idler pulleys should be considered for replacement at tb service.
If this was in reference to me, it doesn't really seem like a "wobble". It just feels like the whole pulley has ever so slight give to it, again less then a mm, just not rock hard like everything else even though the hex bolts are all torqued down. It doesn't seem to wobble with the belt moving or anything like that, so if he's seeing a wobble or hearing something like that from the belt running, that's like 100 times more severe then what I'm talking about. It's just odd that with everything rock solid when bolted down this isn't. I have to put a decent but of force on it too, like enough to hold onto it to tighten or loosen one of the bolts, just spinning it by hand it isn't noticeable. If anything is that lose and wobbles then ya, that's big issues and I would worry about it throwing the belt or rubbing part of it and eating away at it till it breaks...
Old 03-17-2014, 05:37 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by OGBULLYLOCDAWG
What exactly did you have replaced?

The center pulley you're talking about is likely the serpentine belt tensioner. I guess it's possible that if they removed it, they didn't line the little nub on the back with the mounting point on the back (image on the right):

You can see the empty space where it mounts in photo (different engine, but just to give you the idea of how the tensioners are secured):

OR

It's possible that it just went bad. The tensioners are pretty sturdy, so outside of intentionally beating on it with a hammer, I'm not sure how they would have damaged the pulley on it.

It all sounds sketchy as hell. Didn't they say that they didn't remove any pulleys, or just the specific part that you questioned them on?

My concern would be that the timing belt was actually replaced and done properly.

Yeah, I believe it is the tensioner. It has about 1/16" wobble roughly. I have been too busy to take it anywhere, but made a couple calls to describe the aforementioned and both said the tensioner should wobble a little.

Yeah, I never like conflicting stories. One person said nothing was removed and the mechanic said the tensioner in question was removed. I just had the timing belt done. I actually like the business in question and wouldn't be inclined to think they messed anything up, but just wanted to double check their work like I would anyone else's, especially since I noticed something that I thought was different from before.
Old 03-17-2014, 06:05 PM
AudiWorld Member

Mine has NO wobble. That thing is torqued down tight and has a little "key" part that matches up with a recessed part on the engine. It might wobble left to right & up to down until you torque it down correctly. However, if there is any wobble after tightened down OR if it's in the direction if front to back (like towards the front of the car and towards the back of the car) then I would think there is something wrong or it wasn't bolted down correctly... Maybe some grim or dirt in the recessed "key" on the engine that is keeping the tensioner from sitting flush?
Old 03-17-2014, 06:27 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by acarney
Mine has NO wobble. That thing is torqued down tight and has a little "key" part that matches up with a recessed part on the engine. It might wobble left to right & up to down until you torque it down correctly. However, if there is any wobble after tightened down OR if it's in the direction if front to back (like towards the front of the car and towards the back of the car) then I would think there is something wrong or it wasn't bolted down correctly... Maybe some grim or dirt in the recessed "key" on the engine that is keeping the tensioner from sitting flush?
I'm going to take it somewhere soon and will see... Thanks for your input and everyone else's.
Old 03-17-2014, 06:37 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by SloopJohnB@mac.com
Cool, thanks. More than just the belt was replaced, did rollers, water pump, and etcetera. I always ask for input at places I get it serviced at and no one had mentioned replacing any of the parts associated to the serpentine belt which I would not be apposed to if it made the car proper.
Old 03-17-2014, 09:44 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by ORKA64.2
Cool, thanks. More than just the belt was replaced, did rollers, water pump, and etcetera. I always ask for input at places I get it serviced at and no one had mentioned replacing any of the parts associated to the serpentine belt which I would not be apposed to if it made the car proper.
Probably because those all add cost to the service and if they give up they won't kill the engine... Just ruin your day and require almost the same cost in labor again...