A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

Quattro and Sand driving

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2002, 01:55 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 41 Likes on 32 Posts
Default This number does not reflect, how good or bad the truck on the snow.

This number basically shows, that vehicle will not stuck in the snow. I never seen Audi or Subaru with less then 100% torque transfer stuck in snow/ice.

On the other side I have seen three (3) SUVs (including Jeep Grand Cherokee) in different situations, spinning on slipery roads. Jeep made two full turns (720 degrees) before it stoped.
Old 03-05-2002, 10:19 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Poor driving. The Quadra is a great system.

i would put it up against most other all-wheel or 4-wheel systems.
Old 01-08-2022, 08:11 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default Real experience on the beach Quattro 0/5

Thanks for all the speculation on this site. But let me tell you about Quattro on the beach. For the most part it works fine on the sand but if you hit dry sand your done. Usually there is a stretch of dry sand between the pavement and the wet sand my the water. So going in downhill at 40 mph no problem. The problem starts when your trying to back up off the beach. The slight up hill makes you spin your tires more which usually isn’t a problem on the beach it helps you keep your speed up. The Quattro braking system to evenly transfer power and reduce tire slippage brakes for 1sec. when tires spin to regain traction on that wheel. As other wheels slip more braking happens and you will go from a 55mph run on wet sand to a dead stop and buried in 150feet in the soft sand coming off the beach. So you try turning off traction control to stop the Quattro braking and guess what my 2011 Q7 Tdi does? It turns the system back on once you start to spin your tires and it will not let you turn it off until you are back on solid pavement(computer knows best). After all my bragging to friends about my Quattro system and they all drive off the beach in there subarus, jeeps, and trucks. I’m the one embarrassed stranded on the beach by Quattro. I grew up in Idaho and have been off roading with many modified vehicles. I’ve never been stuck in a way that a little ingenuity hasn’t resulted in getting unstuck until I took my Audi in the sand.
Old 01-17-2022, 12:59 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The key to driving on sand is to increase the tire contact area as much as possible by dropping tire pressure - although you really need a tire with large enough aspect ratio for this to work. 8-10 psi is not uncommon - even lower if you have beadlocks. Low profile summer tires in the sand will be just as worthless in the sand as they are in the snow.
Old 01-17-2022, 08:56 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default Thank you captain obvious

This has nothing to do with the Audis braking to even out power that leaves you buried in a few feet. Any off roader knows about tire pressure/increasing contact area,and in my experience I always lower to 16psi on sand. But no tires or ammount of tire pressure will stop the system from stopping you dead in your tracks.

Originally Posted by dwengi;[url=tel:25670841
25670841[/url]]The key to driving on sand is to increase the tire contact area as much as possible by dropping tire pressure - although you really need a tire with large enough aspect ratio for this to work. 8-10 psi is not uncommon - even lower if you have beadlocks. Low profile summer tires in the sand will be just as worthless in the sand as they are in the snow.