A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

Quattro, Tires and Winter....

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2003, 06:24 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Quattro, Tires and Winter....

I've searched and found various posts saying how this is the best winter tire or that is the best winter tire, and of course that performance tires aren't as good as winter tires but nothing really to address my specific question.

My 4.2 came with Dunlop SP9000's all around which appear to be Z rated tires. Historically on all my previous cars I know for fact that Z rated tires have not fared well for my winter driving. However, with the all-wheel drive of the quattro are these tires acceptable for winter driving? Better than fwd with winter tires? Worse? Am I going to *HAVE* to go out and spend the extra cash on the Dunlop M3's?
Old 10-17-2003, 06:31 AM

Default I have Sumitomo HTR+ on my car in WI >>

they are a great compromise tire, good performance, inexpensive and work well in the snow. We had one really good snow storm last year about 7 inches of snow and the Sumi's were excellent.
Old 10-17-2003, 06:32 AM

Default SP9000's were worthless on my '00 2.7T and would be on any car in the snow.

You absolutely need a "winter tire", whether all seasons or snows. FWIW I just installed M2's on my '03 2.7T and although I haven't driven them in snow yet, they're quite good in the dry. TireRack recommended these to me over the M3, describing the M3's as being "marginally better than all seasons" versus the M2's which are much better in the wet with little sacrifice in dry performance.
Old 10-17-2003, 06:37 AM

Default I was afraid I might hear that...

I guess it looks like I'll have to fork out some money then and get em swapped out for the winter. Note, I'm not complaining-safety is nigh priceless after all, it's just getting my wallet to understand that is tough.
Old 10-17-2003, 06:40 AM

Default Ask your wallet to spring for a winter wheel set also and price a "winter package" at TireRack.com.

For nearly the price of having to replace 1 or 2 stock wheels you can have a whole new set for dedicated winter use. I went this route after hitting a few snow covered curbs last year ;(
Old 10-17-2003, 06:52 AM

Where do you live? How much snow do you get?
Old 10-17-2003, 07:11 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default Re: Quattro, Tires and Winter....

My buddy who had a 2000 4.2 sold his car and has these tires for sale. If you are interested his e-mail is steveoleary@adelphia.net.

Just tell him Craig sent you.

5-Nokian Hakkapeliitta NRW 235/45R17 winter tires. Used on A6 4.2 for two seasons. Winter use only! Perfect condition low miles. Best winter tire for the A6. Traded car and dealer did not want them! $475.00 or BO. Local sale preferred. Also, Weather Tech trunk liner. Custom fit for the A6. great condition $40.00
Old 10-17-2003, 07:33 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Quattro or no, you need WINTER tires for winter driving.

All driving is about traction, and that starts with tires. A FWD car with good winter tires will (literally) drive circles around your quattro with "Z" rated performance tires. I've attended winter driving schools where quattros with "all-season" tires could barely move, while those (even FWD) with winter tires threw up "rooster-tails" of snow as they excellerated. Quattro will help you to "go", keep "going", go uphill, and...that's it. It won't help you turn, go downhill, or stop. This is all about traction, remember? For example, SO3s are excellent in the dry and wet, but below 40 degrees they become "hockey pucks".

What type of winter driving will you be doing? Some snow? Lotsa snow? Black ice? Snow over ice? There are winter tires that are best for those conditions. Occasiuonal snow with occasional drives into the mountains with driving on "clear" roads or hi-ways? There are winter performance tires that are perfect for those conditions.

"search", the wheel and tire forum, and tire rack can help you choose a tire for safe, controlled driving for your needs.

HTH
Old 10-17-2003, 07:37 AM

Agreed - quattro gets you going; tires get you stopped.
Old 10-17-2003, 07:48 AM

Default Re: Quattro or no, you need WINTER tires for winter driving.

I live just about 20 miles north of the easter side of Columbus Ohio. Right next to the edge of the snow belt. Some years have incredible snow falls and some are so-so. I'm expecting a real ringer this year with the low temp very wet weather patterns we've seen all summer/fall though.

Quick Reply: Quattro, Tires and Winter....