A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

Question about check engine light...

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2002, 12:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question about check engine light...

My light came on this afternoon. Noticed it some time after getting gas at a full serv. place. So, I checked the gas cap after I noticed the light, took it off and re-tightened it just to make sure. My question is, should the light go off right away if this is the problem, or is there some delay (the light is still on)? TIA
Old 03-22-2002, 12:42 PM
DWP
AudiWorld Super User

Takes a while - several startups - to reset.
Old 03-22-2002, 12:46 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

unless you are driving a Chrysler product. Then the light never goes off.
Old 03-22-2002, 12:48 PM

Thanks.
Old 03-22-2002, 01:03 PM

Not true! They burn out after being on all of the time! Then you have no worries.
Old 03-22-2002, 01:45 PM

Default When I was at the dealer a couple of days ago I picked up a tri-fold brochure called

"Understanding the Malfunction Indicator Lamp (MIL)". To quote from the text:

"If the MIL should illuminate while you are driving, you may discover that after several trips, the MIL no longer illuminates. This is due to the fact that some MIL triggers will erase after three "good trips" are made subsequent to the MIL illuminating. That is, if the condition that caused the MIL to illuminate does not reappear within three consecutive trips of a certain time and distance, the MIL will not come on."

Outside of not stating what the "certain time and distance" is, I found it most illuminating :-)

- Tom
Old 03-22-2002, 02:06 PM

Default Re: Question about check engine light...

My Check Engine Light has came on Twice since I owned My 2000 2.7 Once when I left the Gas cap Off for approx 1/2 Hour. They told me when I Bought the car if this happens I will have to bring the car in. It went off after a few hours. The second Time it happened was a week ago when the motor slightly misfired at start up. I called the dealer and they said it was an emission problem , nothing to worry about. I thought if that is the case when do I really have a problem ?? Needless to say the light went off in a couple days. I guess thats why they call them Idiot lights.
Old 03-22-2002, 03:40 PM

Default The only way to tell if you really have a problem is to get a read out of the diagnostic codes.

This requires either a VAG-COM or a trip to the dealer. For me, VAG-COM is a required accessory, but I'm a engineer and gadget/tool freak.

From the brochure I mentioned in my previous post in this thread, it says:

"If the MIL remains illuminated or comes on while driving, it indicates a potential malfunction within the emission monitoring and control system. Generally, there is no immediate concern for driver safety. Malfunctions within the emission monitoring and control system will cause a return to "default" settings, and the engine will still operate. However, engine performance may be affected. .... If the MIL blinks or flashes while driving, this indicates a rather severe level of engine misfire. When this occurs, reduce speed and seek service as soon as possible. Severe engine misfire (even for a short period of time) can seriously damage emission control system components, especially the catalytic converter."

The highly simplified brochure explanation seems to talk mostly about the emission controls. The blinking light does seem to indicate a bad problem that puts your catalytic converter at risk. However, from looking at the list of diagnostic codes on the Bently site, there are also a lot of other engine components at risk (see the link. Not all DTCs illuminate the MIL).

My assessment? I would want to get a code readout ASAP unless I found a loose gas cap. If the light is blinking, get to the dealer even faster.

- Tom<ul><li><a href="http://www.bentleypublishers.com/tech/audi/dtc.table.htm">Bently DTC list, Audi/VW</a></li></ul>
Old 03-22-2002, 04:52 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Question about check engine light...

Re-fueling with car running can also trigger the stupid light (love how the EPA requires this light to be check engine instead of check emissions, so they can scare people into the dealer right away) to come on. It should reset after awhile. Could be 2 starts and could be 2 weeks. My Boxster does it once in a while and it usually resets after a start-up or two but last time it took at least 20 start-ups to reset. What a pain in the As$! Those liberals in Washington don't want our brand new cars polluting the air for the spotted owls, never mind the Mack truck belching out thick black smoke, screw with us because our gas cap is not on tight.