A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

A question for April

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2000, 06:35 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A question for April

When a dealer says he will try to locate a car for a customer,that they don't have in inventory, do they usually just look in their surrounding area, or do they check all over the country ?
Old 11-01-2000, 05:12 AM

Default location, location, location

Grandpa Mike,
Much of that depends on your dealer. The first dealer I dealt with did nothing of that sort. In fact, if they could find what I wanted they were going to tack on the extra shipping charges.
My current dealer found a car from out of state, had it transported to my location and stayed with the agreed upon price without any extra fees. They more than earned my business. The first dealer put in the order and I was going to wait almost 3 mos, where my current dealer had a car to me in 10 days.
Good Luck!!!
Old 11-01-2000, 06:50 AM

Default Re: A question for April

I have another suggestion that's worked fine for me on my last three cars: use a broker.

Mine searches a three-state area for the closest match to what I want, yet he still only charges the one flat fee, including sending someone to fetch the vehicle if it's out of the immediate area. It sure beats messing around with the dealers yourself. And I know from my research that he's still getting me a good deal on the car, including his fee.
Old 11-01-2000, 08:41 AM
AudiWorld Uber User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Brokers get to call around and use contacts. We use a central computer system

where we can enter the customer preferences and see what is available at all dealers - now on the lot, and up to 4 months from now. There are two kinds of search. Your state, and regional.

Find a dealer who will run the search for you. Most will do it in front of you. You can see what is out there, and change the search criteria as needed. If you are somewhat flexible regarding options, or have a few months leeway, things will go more smoothly for everyone.

Keep in mind that if the car needs to be trucked from a distance, there needs to be enough profit to motivate the dealer. Of course, some dealers are never motivated;-) What margin is acceptable varies widely depending on location.
Old 11-01-2000, 04:52 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default Re: Brokers get to call around and use contacts. We use a central computer system

April,
I asked the question, as a problem had come up in respect to my order. Had ordered a car, and about a month later decided to change color. My dealer did all that, but when he told me that it would be built in the 12th week of 2001 and delivery approx 1 month later, I had second thoughts about waiting that long, and thought, why not wait and order a 2002 instead. In any case, he made a mistake and told me that it will be built in December of this year to be delivered in Feb, which is fine. Thanks for your imput.