A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

question for singletrack... airbox / intake

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2002, 06:02 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default question for singletrack... airbox / intake

hey, i was wondering sinse it seems that you monitor the S4 forum quite thoroughly, have any of them modified their intakes successfully to produce more power?

i remember a while back reading some of the S4 posts that a guy installed a modified awe S-flo. it seems that he rduced the length of the tube and then threw on a bigger ITG cone filter all within the stock air box.

have any of the S4 guys produced any measurable gains with some type of mod.? have they done any others mods to their intakes? i realize that supposedly audi has done a decent jobs with the stock aircleaner assembly but usually their is room for improvement some way some how.

finally i was wondering if the S4 intake/airbox is the same as us A6 2.7T guys? thanks !!
Old 10-28-2002, 06:04 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I'm not singletrack but Blitzkreig on the S4 forum...

has a highly modified air intake system. He also happens to have the fastest K03 S4 around. He is AWE's website as well.

The intake is in my picture poster somewhere...you can't miss it.
Old 10-28-2002, 06:47 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default As nowa6r says, Blitzkrieg is the only one that I know of who has increased performance with

his custom airbox. On the other hand, he really hasn't published any figures I don't think, and it certainly isn't for sale. I think there were one or two others, I recall a custom carbon fiber intake. In any event, there were no details really included with the posts.

Some people swear that the AWE S-flo produces better airflow and as a result more power. However, I have yet to see anyone actually prove this. Supposedly, in the original instructions they had you remove the metal MAF screen. There seems to be some debate about whether or not this is true. It certainly isn't in the instructions anymore.

I would never use a K&N either. I know this wasn't part of your question, but I might as well throw it in. No one has measured any performance gain and the oil from the filter can, and has, leaked off onto the MAF and destroyed it.

The airbox is identical on the A6 2.7T and the S4. I believe the scoop right behind the hood is slightly different on the S4 though.

Honestly, if you have a 2000 with the BOSCH MAF, the best thing you can do is remove the metal MAF screen. It makes a pretty profound difference in my opinion, especially in the upper regions of the powerband. All the info you need on this should be in my MAF post from the other day, or one of the linked posts from there. Just do a search.

Hope that helps a little, let me know if you have questions.

-st
Old 10-28-2002, 08:09 AM

thanks for info.. should i clean maf with pure alcohol while removing screen?
Old 10-28-2002, 08:27 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default No reason to clean it unless it is erroring out. ie getting rich/lean codes in the ECU.

...and of course I take no responsibility for any damage to your car. The screen IS there to catch debris, so if something did get past it you could be looking at blown turbos. Just keep that in mind : )

-st