A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

Question for you Ming...

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2001, 09:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question for you Ming...

Hey Ming I was reading one of your posts about the times for a (2000???)A6 2.7T...and you stated:
Chipped Tip runs 5.48 Gtech(best) averages 5.70. What chip did you have and did you have any other mods besides chip...cause I am very interested in getting a chip and runnin 5.7 would be freakin awesome!~!~ Thanks in advance
Old 10-23-2001, 08:59 AM
Craggy Old Man

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Question for you Ming...

Friends A6 has the GIAC ECU and Tip chip. These ar the only mods he has done. So far his car is holding up to the added strain, but since these cars are still new, the additional stress wont be evident for another year or two probably.
The Tranny is rated for 313lb torque. Most chips add between 340-366lbs torque, so you can see that they put alot of stress on the trans. How much life is subtracted no one knows yet.
If you decide you need all that 315hp/360lb power/torque, GIAC is a good choice. And if you decide on a Tip tranny chip go with GIAC, it is the only Tip tranny chip that speeds up the shifts. You can feel the difference and the car feels much more responsive. This Tranny chip works with other brand ECU chips also.
AMS came out with a chip specifically made for the Tip cars. It has 310hp and 300lbs torque. So it should lessen the strain on the car when compared to the higher torque chips. Do not read this as its all great and fine for the car as some do. It will still lessen the life on your trans from the stock version of 258lbs torque but how much again no one knows yet. There have been no timeslips for the AMS chip yet but hopefully someone will post in the near future.
Some purchase a new ECU and have the upgraded chip installed into the new box and leave the stock box untouched.
You can also go in stages on how you upgrade. Maybe start with the Tip tranny chip from GIAC. See how you like it, it may be all you want. Then maybe go with an exhaust from Supersprint or the new Miltek coming soon from Strat. You may wish to stop there, if not then get the ECU chip. Some places may even let you demo the chip to see if thats what you want.
Now for my "school's in" session. First before any of these mods. take a drivers school class like the one the Quattro club offers or you can find some other good ones out there, 2 of us went to the ALfa Club driving school and that was very good. Get to know your car first. Tighten the loose nut behind the wheel first! Then, before you start upgrading , your car may have the "h" rated tires, be sure to upgrade your tires before installing a ECU Chip!! The ECU chips remove the speed limiter so then the car will surpass your tires speed rating! And leave the street racing for the others, take yours to the 1/4 and road tracks and blow them away!!! Although its hard to resist the occasional romps when no one is out , on a deserted street against another car, try to resist. I am still working on that one myself.