A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

Questions on 2000 4.2

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2000, 04:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Questions on 2000 4.2

My local dealer has a new 2000 4.2 with zenon and heated seats, no sport pack(bummer) and it msrp's at $51,150.00. They are taking off $6200 right off the bat. Is this a factory incentive? Or, is it just the dealers own deal? I seem to remember there being some kind of incentive on this car. If this is true would it be reasonable to asume that I could get more than the $6200 off the price that they are immediately offering? Is the residual much worse than a 01 model? This car is awesome except it doesant have the sport pack and its got the ugly Tungstin gray interior, which I suppose I could get used to. It seems that a deal like this might be the ownly way I could afford a 4.2. Suggestions?
Old 12-22-2000, 04:29 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default Try both the 4.2 and the 2.7T before choosing. I had the fortune of ..

been given a 4.2 (without sports package) as a loaner before picking up my 2.7T (WITH sports package). I came from a V8 LEXUS GS400. The 4.2 is a nice car, but I think, that I will be happier with the 2.7T. Matter of taste I know, but you would save quite a bit, if you ended up with the 2.7T, which isn't exactly slow. It also seems more "nimble".
Good hunting
Old 12-22-2000, 06:25 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Sounds like a terrific deal to me.

At an M.S.R.P. of $51,150, the car must also have the optional 17" wheels. Total invoice price of a 2000 4.2 with Cold Weather Package, 17" wheels, and xenon headlights is $45,631 (including destination). If they're willing to sell it to you at $6200 off M.S.R.P., that comes to $44,950 which is $681 UNDER invoice.

Sure, there may be some type of factory incentive involved (I don't know for sure, though). Regardless, the deal they're offering is fair; to try to get even more off would be an insult, IMO.

As for the Tungsten Gray interior, if you don't like it, you don't like it; there's no accounting for personal taste. I have it and like it a lot. Only you can decide if it's a color that you'd be willing to live with.
Old 12-22-2000, 09:34 PM

Default Re: Questions on 2000 4.2

I have been told by the Audi area rep. that silver exterior with tungstin interior is by far the most popular color on A6s. I should have the best resale since it should be easy to sell.
Old 12-23-2000, 04:06 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default Re: Questions on 2000 4.2

As the owner of a '00/4.2 silver/tungsten combination, I'd tend to agree with that! ;-)
Old 12-23-2000, 09:34 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Good deal, yes, but I don't know about great deal, however

Sounds like a pretty good deal to me. As far as whether you should buy the car, does the difference in handling and seats between sport package and no sport package make much difference to you? Does the tungsten interior offend you? (You will probably receive compliments from many on the tungsten, although I agree I don't like it with the grey carpet (OK if with black carpet)).
I didn't try to figure out all the options on your car based on the MSRP, but it should be including the 17" pie plate wheels (which I think are the best looking of the optional wheels) and if not, I would try to get them to throw them and a CD changer in also, or consider trying another $1000-1500 off the price. While I agree it sounds like a decent deal, the car is now 1 year old, and if you tried to sell a 1 year old car, even with very low miles, you would certainly lose more than $3k (normal selling price ~$3k less than MSRP-$6k less they offered you). I don't think it is insulting to try to get a little better deal if done in a respectful manner. By the way, how many miles does this car have as I suspect it may have been used as a tester a few times? What color is it, and do you like that color? Does it keep you up at night because you "need" to have it?
As pridbor suggested, have you tried the 2.7T? or do you "need" (as I did) the 4.2? Good luck, you will love the car, but only if you love it now. It "is" awesome. Keep us updated.
Old 12-23-2000, 10:34 AM

Default Re: Good deal, yes, but I don't know about great deal, however

Yes, the car has the pie plate wheels which I don't think look too bad. It is casablanca white, which a lot of people dont like, but it happens to be my favorite, and it does have the black carpet. The car has never been taken out of its factory cocoon, so it basically has zero miles. Will this car handle horribley compared to a sport 4.2?
Old 12-23-2000, 12:39 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Re: Good deal, yes, but I don't know about great deal, however

Definitely it will not handle horribly. Without the sport package it is a little softer with a little more roll (not much) but I like the sport seats considerably more (you may not care). In everyday driving, you probably won't notice the difference at all. Does it have ESP? If it's still wrapped in plastic, the factory may have given the dealer some incentive to sell it, but who knows? If you love the color and everything else, it sounds like you may not get another chance like it (fate maybe). Go for it (my wife says)
Pie plates are awesome.
Old 12-23-2000, 04:23 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default It's hard not to get emotional while looking for a car. But you have to go ..

with your heart. If white is right for you, then forget the resale value, as silver, might be so plentifull by the time that you might decide to sell, that you chioce may even be better. And if you intend to keep it long time then you should get the color you like.

Another person mentioned the sports seats. I personally wouldn't buy a car without it! But I'm 5'8" and 150 pounds and they fit me perfectly. If you are a heavy person then you would probably hate them. Test another vehicle with sport package and see for yourself.

When we post our opinions here on the BB we should all remember to provide "our profile" small, tall, lean or not, such that we others can use that in our evaluations!

Finally the 2000 4.2 that I borrowed didn't have ESP.
Old 12-23-2000, 04:52 PM

Default Re: It's hard not to get emotional while looking for a car. But you have to go ..

I'm 6'5" 225lbs, all muscle and no fat, with very wide shoulders, so the sport seats are not very comfortable for me....

Quick Reply: Questions on 2000 4.2