A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

Quick Survey: Who ELSE out there got a car with windshield distortion? (More)

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2001, 06:46 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Quick Survey: Who ELSE out there got a car with windshield distortion? (More)

I took delivery of my '01 2.7T back in mid December. Sure enough, I'm one of the lucky ones. (Do distortion-free windshields exist for this car?!?) I remember reading that some of you had your windshields replaced only to have the same problem with the new one. If I remember, some of you might have gone through this more than once.

How HARD can it possibly be to examine a replacement windshield to see if it has the same problem before going through all the trouble of removing/replacing the old one? Is there such a thing as proactiveness in the automobile service industry?

I'm in a quandary about this, as I'm sure many of you share my sentiment. I'm concerned that the seals, etc. won't be the same with a replacement windshield as they initially were with the factory. Further, I don't want to go through all the hassle, only to have the same problem in the end.

To any of you out there with windshield distortion, what are you doing about it?
Old 05-11-2001, 06:48 AM
SAR

Me. But I'm now able to "look past it."
Old 05-11-2001, 06:50 AM

Sounds like you have ascended to a new level of spiritual enlightenment...
Old 05-11-2001, 06:57 AM

I, too, see thru it...(couldn't help it, sorry)
Old 05-11-2001, 07:02 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default I had my windshield replaced. ...

The dealer inspected the new windshield prior to having a local glass shop replace it. Audi seems to have reconized the problem. There is a survey that the dealer must submit prior to warrenty replacement. The process was relatively painless, except for the Nissan Sentra rental car the dealer supplied. I have no leaks.
Old 05-11-2001, 07:02 AM

Default Seriously, I've gotten to the point I don't even notice it 95% of the time either. It's just...

the principle of the matter when you're talking about a car priced in the mid to high $40's. Hell, you probably get a better windshield on Kia's, Hyundai's and Saturns.
Old 05-11-2001, 07:03 AM

Craig, is you replacement "distortion-free"? Can you tell in any way it was replaced?
Old 05-11-2001, 07:16 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Re: Craig, is you replacement "distortion-free"? Can you tell in any way it was replaced?

The distortion I noticed was in the center of the passenger side of the windshield. I notice no problems with the replacement, so as far as I'm concerned its distortion-free.
One cannot tell that the windshield was replaced. The NJ inspection sticker and the 3M velcro that holds my EZ Pass were transfered to the new windshield. So it is as I brought to the dealer. This part of the warrenty expierence has been a positive one.
Old 05-11-2001, 07:25 AM
JP

I'm living with mine ('00 2.7 T) since I only notice it when entering the garage.
Old 05-11-2001, 07:31 AM

Default Count me in

I'm on windshield number 3 and it STILL has distortion. Now, the dealer shows a windshield to me for approval before installation. I've looked at 3 more and all were bad.

Here's a tip: when viewing a windshield prior to installation in the car, be sure that they hold it for you at an angle -- just as it will be after it's installed. It they just hold it vertically, you won't necessarily see the distortion.

Also, anyone experiencing this should call Audi Client Relations and report the problem. Yes, they do know about it, but if everyone having the problem calls in, maybe they'll get tired of hearing about it! I think we should all call frequently and ask when this is going to be resolved. What's the problem with coming up with a distortion free windshield? My mom's Camry has one!

Quick Reply: Quick Survey: Who ELSE out there got a car with windshield distortion? (More)