A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

Radar Detector

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2013, 03:45 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ayap
Nahh, not this case Bob, because there was a truck at the back tailing me closely and on my left side, and I doubt its brakes was as strong as my S5.

If I stomped on the brakes hard, the big truck behind would have rear-ended me for sure. And there was also a car on my left lane. Only the front space was free to get out of the jam, get it ? The only option was to stomp on the gas. Get it going. No, there was ABSOLUTELY no choice - this is not about 'to each his own'.

If you'd use your wide pedal, the truck at the back would have killed you. So, you're Wrong! Very wrong! I'm pretty sure you'd be dead with your decision to brake hard, but not me.

Makes sense to me! And this right here is how a radar detector is used properly. You're main intentions weren't to wake up that day and speed down the freeway, but simply to avoid an accident.
Old 03-17-2013, 04:52 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 713 Likes on 518 Posts

Originally Posted by Yar1
Makes sense to me! And this right here is how a radar detector is used properly. You're main intentions weren't to wake up that day and speed down the freeway, but simply to avoid an accident.
I find peoples response to the OP really unfortunate. OP asked a legal question and is getting grief. Why are people assuming OP is a speed demon? If you have ever driven with a radar detector you know the additional information they provide the driver. I have always thought they simply add information to the drivers arsenal.

When people tint their windows do we assume its to conceal criminal activity?

One day when we all have nice HUD's in our cars with radar locating and radar cruise control, I would think that one of the data points it will include is radar detection and emergency vehicle locating (most radar detectors and new radios do this now anyway).
Old 03-17-2013, 05:12 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 101 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by A4 Phil
I find peoples response to the OP really unfortunate. OP asked a legal question and is getting grief. Why are people assuming OP is a speed demon? If you have ever driven with a radar detector you know the additional information they provide the driver. I have always thought they simply add information to the drivers arsenal.

When people tint their windows do we assume its to conceal criminal activity?

One day when we all have nice HUD's in our cars with radar locating and radar cruise control, I would think that one of the data points it will include is radar detection and emergency vehicle locating (most radar detectors and new radios do this now anyway).
Excellent point. Radar cruise control gives a large number of false alarms these days.
Old 03-18-2013, 06:45 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by A4 Phil
I find peoples response to the OP really unfortunate. OP asked a legal question and is getting grief. Why are people assuming OP is a speed demon?
I was about to respond the same, what is this with the moral tone to responses? This is not a thread about the pros and cons of speeding, just a simple question about detectors.
Old 03-18-2013, 07:49 AM
AudiWorld Super User

duly noted from all... my response was merely aimed at someone who gets tickets for not noticing the speed changing from 45 to 35. if that is the case, a radar detector is the last thing he needs, he needs to be heads up looking out of the window at the posted speed limit. in this regards it is a crutch to driving. sorry if that is me being morally indignant.
Old 03-18-2013, 11:56 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well, I support GOOD driving. Defensive driving. Driving recklessly, carelessly, or distractedly will get on my nerves.

But even in my defensive driving, I see the use for a radar detector. This is driving remote roads where the posted speed limit is too low, or when you get into a suburb and you have a 4 or 6 lane road with a posted limit of 25 mph and no house in sight, often with a cop hiding behind a bush - a revenue generating scheme.
Old 03-18-2013, 12:17 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by GTA_Driver
This is driving remote roads where the posted speed limit is too low
regardless if you feel it is too low, on a remote road it should be easy to spot a change in speed if you are paying attention to the signage.

or when you get into a suburb and you have a 4 or 6 lane road with a posted limit of 25 mph and no house in sight, often with a cop hiding behind a bush
Residential neighborhoods/suburbs are 25mph unless otherwise posted, this was taken from the arizona MVD driving manual.

im not saying that cities/cops aren't revenue generating A-holes. Im saying by being a good driver and paying attention to your surroundings (situational awareness) that you can easily avoid these. in fact if you drive through these areas more then once, you SHOULD know where these traps are and have no need for radar to avoid them.
Old 03-18-2013, 12:22 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Well, I support GOOD driving. Defensive driving. Driving recklessly, carelessly, or distractedly will get on my nerves.

But even in my defensive driving, I see the use for a radar detector. This is driving remote roads where the posted speed limit is too low, or when you get into a suburb and you have a 4 or 6 lane road with a posted limit of 25 mph and no house in sight, often with a cop hiding behind a bush - a revenue generating scheme.
Most of us do support good, safe driving. I just have never seen the wisdom in paying hundreds of dollars to avoid paying hundreds of dollars especially when there is no guarantee that one will prevent the other.

If you guys want to do that I'm cool. I have way better things to do with my money than spending it on tickets and attorneys. I hate paying taxes so why would I pay the state to go fast. Makes no sense to me and I'm just not in a hurry.

That being said I offer this to the OP.

FTW http://www.consumersearch.com/radar-...assport-9500ix About $500 or if you're really into this technology try http://www.bestradardetectors.net/Be...-Detector.html
Old 03-18-2013, 01:55 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I still think my first comment was funny and that's all I'm going to say.
Old 03-18-2013, 01:57 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by Huskerbob
Most of us do support good, safe driving. I just have never seen the wisdom in paying hundreds of dollars to avoid paying hundreds of dollars especially when there is no guarantee that one will prevent the other.

If you guys want to do that I'm cool. I have way better things to do with my money than spending it on tickets and attorneys. I hate paying taxes so why would I pay the state to go fast. Makes no sense to me and I'm just not in a hurry.

That being said I offer this to the OP.

FTW http://www.consumersearch.com/radar-...assport-9500ix About $500 or if you're really into this technology try http://www.bestradardetectors.net/Be...-Detector.html
This was my whole point, save 500 dollars and whatever the ticket price is and dont speed. win win

Quick Reply: Radar Detector