A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004
Old 08-15-2016, 11:54 AM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:Browse all: Audi A6 (C5) Cooling System Guides
Print Wikipost

Radiator fan seized

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2010, 04:51 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Radiator fan seized

2000 A6 2.7T 6-speed
156k miles

I noticed after I had my aux water pump replaced while on vacation that the car was still over heating when the A/C was on in stop and go traffic. Once I turned the A/C off everything cooled back down. I discovered, after the car sat overnight that the rear radiator fan attached to the radiator was very hard to manually rotate. Both the front and rear fans do not turn on when the A/C is turned on.

I suspect (foolishly) the motor seized and blew a fuse, causing the front radiator fan to not work as well. Where is the fuse box located in these cars? I was unable to find it. Also, the aux water pump cleaned my bank account out (I was in Miami when it blew, had to pay a LOT of money to have the repair done) so I don't have the repair manual yet, so is there any HOWTO on replacing that fan? I think I could possibly swap it out with out removing the front bumper, am I disillusion here?

I look forward to any responses that you guys may have. Thanks.
Old 04-03-2010, 06:11 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

That fan often seized due to a rubber strip getting wrapped around the fan hub. What then usually happens is the fan control module getting fried and defaulting to ultra high speed. Sounds like a turbine with the A/C on. But if both fans are off, you probably have a blown fuse.

Not sure the fuse number off the top of my head, but you should check the fuses in the fuse panel for a blown one. Also, you can reach down and check for the rubber strip in the fan area. If it's not the rubber strip and the fan just seized...new fan. But I would expect that you may have a blown module, too.

I'm not sure if you can R/R the fan without putting the front carrier into service position, but it will certainly be easier if you do. Only takes about 1hr 1st time to get the bumper off and the front end pulled forward.

The fan module is bolted to a vertical support piece on the driver side, up near the radiator. It is very hard to get the top bolt started on this module without removing the bumper, but possible.

Get a Bentley manual. CD version is more complete than paper.
Old 09-07-2011, 08:54 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The fuse was blown, replace it. I disconnected the fan and the fan did not turn on. The fuse did not blow.

I have not tried connecting power to it directly yet. I'm starting to think the control module may be out. I'll get come alligator clips and try it out to be sure.
Old 09-07-2011, 02:51 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Blow the fan out with compressed air - lots of carbon dust will come out and sometimes it'll run again. Worked for me.
Old 09-07-2011, 04:16 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 101 Likes on 77 Posts

LOL...disconnected fan and it did not turn on? If it did you'd be up for Nobel prize for perpetual motion....or at least sorcery.