A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

Radio station & tone drift problems

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2000, 07:51 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Radio station & tone drift problems

I guess I'll join the club after 2,000 miles on my 2000 4.2. Maybe this calls for another class action law suit much like the one that was initiated for the fuel sensor problem. I'm beginning to think this is the only way AoA responsds to problems.
Old 10-06-2000, 08:12 AM

What have you done to get it fixed? Anything? Posting a complaint here won't get it fixed.
Old 10-06-2000, 09:20 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default As has been posted here many times before...

...try turning the radio off EVERY TIME before you shut off the engine. This will prevent the possibility of voltage spikes reaching the radio when you restart the car, which in turn will probably prevent the "frequency creep" and "tone control creep".

There's been a lot of discussion here on this subject, and to the best of my knowledge (readers, please correct me if I'm wrong) nobody who uses the above procedure has had a recurrance of the problem. It may not be a perfect solution or the one you're looking for, but in my opinion it makes more sense than a lawsuit!

By the way, my understanding is that the problem has also surfaced on "replacement" radios, so going that route is no guarantee of resolution either.
Old 10-06-2000, 09:49 AM

Default Why not just get your radio replaced..instead of the knee JERK reaction to sue?? (m)

Or are you going to try to claim that this is a "safety" problem like the fuel gauge? Even if Audi knew before installing each radio that it had the "drift" problem and installed them anyway...what's the point? Let the market take care of the solution. If Audi isn't smart enough to install quality components they will pay the price by losing sales. They don't even make the radio, for crying out loud. In fact, even if Audi knew the radio would never work right, because the manufacturer told them, and gave them a GREAT deal for taking it off their hands... so what? ;-) . It's just a little glitch that Audi is doing what it can, short of gearing up to make its own radios. Deal with it. and have a great weekend driving one of the most amazing cars, and values, on the road.
Old 10-06-2000, 11:57 AM

Re: I repeat: I'm sick and tired of this sue...sue...sue BS.........
Old 10-06-2000, 03:41 PM

Yeah, a class-action lawsuit for the pain and suffering of turning a dial one notch twice a month...
Old 10-07-2000, 04:47 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default do you use your A/C alot?

Voltage spikes caused by the compressor at engine start are suspect.
Old 10-07-2000, 05:40 AM

Default Re: As has been posted here many times before...

It has been very strange. I stations would drift from time to time after starting the car...now for the past few months it has stoped completely...still use the A/C.

Who knows....
Old 10-07-2000, 09:36 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default It probably makes sense to turn off the A/C system as well.

Not that this is by any means conclusive, but I always turn everything off before shutting down the engine (therefore nothing with a switch is on when I re-start), and I've never had station or tone control creep.
Old 10-07-2000, 11:31 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default Not related to a/c

For what it's worth, I've had my A/C off for a few days and had the radio gremlins visit me twice. Agree that it hasn't happened when the radio is turned off.

Quick Reply: Radio station & tone drift problems