A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

Rattle behind Airbag panel above glove compartment, pass side.

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2001, 09:33 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rattle behind Airbag panel above glove compartment, pass side.

Last problem post for awhile, really.

OK, I have a rattle that stops when you press on the airbag panel on the passenger side above the glove compartment on the right. Any ideas on how to fix this? The airbag kind of makes me nervous otherwise I would just shove something behind there 'till the next appointment.

Thanks,

Chris
Old 11-26-2001, 02:05 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Wait.

If you're car is new, there's a good chance the rattle may subside as all the bits and pieces settle in. Otherwise, your friendly Audi dealer will be happy to take your dash apart and try to fix it.
Old 11-26-2001, 03:24 PM

Default What airbag panel? On the 2001 2.7T at least, the passenger

side airbag deploys from the top of the dashboard. You can see a faint outline of a pre-weakened opening in the vinyl (?) dashboard. Below that is a wood trim piece that does not come off if the airbag deploys.

Try running into a wall at about 30 mph and you will see what I mean. It will also be easy to get to the rattle - just kidding;-)

Actually, if the rattle sounds like it is coming from that part of the dash, I would take everything out of the glove box and be sure it isn't something like that. More than one of us has embarrassed themselves with rattles that turned out to be items in the glovebox, ashtray, or armrest compartment!

- Tom
Old 11-26-2001, 03:43 PM

Default Re: What airbag panel? On the 2001 2.7T at least, the passenger

Tom-

My memory may be fading, but I thought that it says airbag below the wood trim. I did not know that the airbag is on top of the trim. Well, that at least makes it a bit easier to shove something in there to stop it 'till I get the car in there.

Timcar - I thought of that too, I already took all my wifes tapes out of there. Still rattles. I don't know if it will go away. It just seems to have started.

Thanks all.

Chris
Old 11-26-2001, 05:20 PM

Default Chris, you are right, it does say "airbag" below the wood. But look

at the top of the dash in good light (daylight). You should be able to see the tear-away lines for where the airbag deploys. Until someone else mentioned it, I thought the airbag popped out from behind the wood.

They don't want the trim flying off for a good reason. In the late 60's, my ex-father-in-law was an engineer at Oldsmobile in Lansing, Michigan. They were doing tests on early airbags using cadavers (having previously used dummies). The metal trim piece covering the airbag came off and decapitated the cadaver. Back to the drawing board...

Sorry if you happened to be eating dinner while you read this!

- Tom