A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

Re: 540i, GS400 and 2.7T performance-->(long rant inside)

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2001, 01:22 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Re: 540i, GS400 and 2.7T performance-->(long rant inside)

I've been trolling around, and found a few BMW 540i owners websites. Although C/D has posted some phenomenal times for the car (14.0-.1 stock) the best that I've found for the enthusiasts is 14.5-14.7. I personally have seen one with an intake run 14.6's at e-town. That's the best that I've heard/seen, has anyone seen better times.
I had a little "showdown" with a rival owner of a GS400. He claimed there was no way that my car could/would stomp on 540's the way I did (I'd told him about a few races where I've put them behind my back bumper by a few feet and kept them there until I backed off (just over 100).This guy went to E-town and proceeded to run a 14.7 and a 14.68, with a one-time best of 14.59.
I proceeded to run 14.44, 14.51 and 14.53 for an average of 14.48(9). This caused many an arguement between us.
I understand BMW's are true "sports sedans", but what type of history do they have that automatically makes them the winner in any type of contest? Why does 282 Hp have to be the ultimate.
Then, why do GS400 owners think they're 300hp luxo-sleds are the fastest things (under 60k) on the planet? I can't tell you how many "grudge runs" I've had against them. Both on the street and on the strip. Once I show them the rear end (which I'm sure all of them will think is extremely unattractive) they just try harder.
It seems that there is extreme competition in the 40-50k luxury sedan market, and that the owners all seem to carry a chip on their shoulders.
When I walked into the BMW dealership 3 weeks ago to look at a M5, I was wearing my Audi cap. The sales manager looked at me and laughed in my (and my fiance`s face. He said "I hope you've got a car that you can be proud of to wear that hat in here." I said, I sure do, then I told him what I drive. I then said "Why don't you fire up this 540 here and we'll go for it, I'll even spot you a carlength." Cocky of me, but I felt on the defensive, and wanted to shut him up quickly.
Not trying to say my 2.7 is faster than everything out there, but when I hear people post about the turbo lag ruining the performance, or the car doesn't "feel right" I want to ask them. If you had sex with 3 different partners, would it "feel" the same with all 3 people? Of course not, everyone/everything/every car is different. As an educated consumer, you should take all things into consideration, not just your feelings.
That's it for me, it's late on a Friday afternoon, and it's really quiet here today.
Old 03-23-2001, 01:37 PM
Craggy Old Man

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The best times I have heard a BMW owner run was 14.5's. That was an automatic, with exhaust and tranny software, intake mod.
I have not seen or heard other than the mags of a manual running 14.0. They could be out there but not known..
For $595 you can really widen the gap. You do this and GS430's M3's 540's all fall behind. Add $595 to their cars and still the A6 will be ahead.
This is all about straight line stuff and no other considerations are ventured here. Straight line racing is bad for the car and I would never ever do that.
Old 03-23-2001, 02:26 PM

Guys, when i was talking about turbo lag, i did
not say 2.7T was slow-just does not accelerate
gradually as you would expect from twin turbo.
I have no way of trying chipped one, may be that
fixes it. Comparacy with sex partners does not
make sense-people are different, but NEW cars
should be the same (or very close to it).For
everybody who asked, it was 6 speed, not Tip.
Anybody in Toronto area that are willing to let
me try a chipped one? As i said earlier, i am
looking for solution, because i like A6 the most
and this is the most practical choice for me.I am
also waiting for changes in 02'- may be something
intresting there.

Eugene
Old 03-23-2001, 02:28 PM

Don't let other's opinions/attitudes affect your enjoyment of your car. There are several nice choices in the price bracket you are in and it is a subjective decision. Who cares who can drag the fastest. These cars are not made for that anyways.

We recently took delivery of a BMW and the dealer we ordered from was complimentary about our 4.2 and Audi (recent Audis) in general. The other BMW dealer in town had the same reaction you described. I must say, I like Audi owners much better than I do BMW owners in general. So be proud and let other's personalities roll off your back like "water on a duck". ;-)
Old 03-23-2001, 03:31 PM

Reeves Import Motorcars in Tampa, Florida is both an Audi, BMW and Porsche dealer. They are a very classy, professionally run organization. I can assure you they understand the quality and heritage behind these great brands. It's a matter of "different strokes for different folks".
Old 03-23-2001, 05:11 PM

I'm in the Toronto area... maybe we can hook up and I'll show ya how 'gradually' mine accelerates
Old 03-23-2001, 06:13 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default I agree. What difference does it make if it's .2's quicker or slower? I wish we could use

the high speed capability of these cars on a regular basis. BTW, how are you Stu B? Long time no hear.
Old 03-23-2001, 06:55 PM
AudiWorld Uber User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Cars in this class, draw competitive people.

Your definition of competitive might vary, but many are looking for speed. It stands to reason that we need to prove ( to ourselves? ) that we made the right choice.

I got my *** smoked by a V6 last gen Camry on Palomar Mtn road while I was driving an '88 Isuzu Impulse with the Lotus handling package. The machine can only do so much to cover our own weakness.

Let's all work at being faster, safer, more professional, more aware, and more courteous. I'm not saying you should abstain from having fun;-), but let's not stoop to being like "them."

These are all great cars. We are lucky to be able to have the choice.
Old 03-23-2001, 10:04 PM
Elder Member

Default how about a 3.2 TL-S?

It won't be as fast as the 2.7T, but it should be close. Plus it is FWD, good for winter there in Toronto. Cheap too.
Old 03-23-2001, 10:45 PM

Forget it, not even close... try Volvo S60, at least coming from the same region, acclerates well...

Quick Reply: Re: 540i, GS400 and 2.7T performance-->(long rant inside)