A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

Re the many postings over the months on radio "drift" when starting . . .

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2000, 01:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re the many postings over the months on radio "drift" when starting . . .

I'm no electrical engineer, but if this is caused by a voltage surge at start, wouldn't it be a simple matter to put in the line supplying power to the radio either 1) a device to absorb any voltage surge, or 2) a device to delay powering up the radio for a few seconds after the car is started?
Old 10-10-2000, 02:14 PM

Default Has anyone experienced the "radio drift" when using the CD player? Most of

the posts have mentioned that the setting for the radio station is drifting, while some people have also mentioned treble, bass, fade or balance drift. I almost never have the radio on, since I use the CD player most of the time. I've never noticed a drift problem with the treble, bass, etc., when I fail to turn off the CD player. I have had a drift problem with the treble and bass (but not the radio station itself) two or three times when I failed to turn off the radio. I can't imagine why having the radio on, rather than the CD, would cause a drift, but stranger things have happened....
Old 10-10-2000, 03:07 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default Tone control drift - It's a feature,

Played with the Symphony radio in my '01 2.7T the other night, and discovered that the tone controls (but not balance or fader) are independently settable for each input source type. So your CD changer/player settings are different than FM settings (and prob. AM & tape too). Neat idea, but confusing because it's unlike any other equipment I've ever used or heard of.

The settings are "sticky", that is, they stay where you put them across car start/stops, input source changes, etc.

The manual says nothing about this. Guess the engineers didn't talk to the tech writers; wouldn't be the first time!

Jim
Old 10-11-2000, 07:56 AM

Default Mercedes has the same feature of separate settings for radio, tape, cd...

But in the Benz, they tend to stay where you set them! I've had occasional radio, tone settings and CD track drift (turn the car off on track 5, it comes back track 6 when turned on). Also, occasionally my radio display in the DIS is blank when I start up, though just changing a station seems to fix that. My service is due in a month. I think I'll call now and have the dealer get my order in for a new head unit.