A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

Rear Fog Lights

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2001, 01:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear Fog Lights

Hi Folks,

Quick question. Took my week old A6 2.7T in to have the rear cup holder fixed and ask a few questions. I had noticed that only the driver's side rear fog light illuminates, but both light up in the front. When I asked, I was told this is normal, and that only the rear driver's side fog light is lit. Is this true? If it is, why bother??

Thanks,
Bill
Old 02-20-2001, 02:11 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default True...

A single light is it in the US.

The logic seems to be that American drivers might be confuse two fogs as brake lights.

My logic says they might slow down quicker if they think they are brake lights. A single light would highten their curiosity and draw them closer...
Old 02-20-2001, 02:30 PM
AudiWorld Super User

True. I think it may be a highway reg. in Germany.
Old 02-20-2001, 02:46 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default It never fails . . .

Everytime I have used my rear fog light (and I only use it in foggy/rainny conditions) someone either flashes me their brights or stops to tell me that one taillight is out.

Anyone else get this?
Old 02-20-2001, 02:49 PM
AudiWorld Super User

believe it or not, I was actually pulled over for this!
Old 02-20-2001, 02:49 PM

Default No, here's what's worse

There is a certain brand of car here in LA that leaves its rear fog light on at all times. They probably don't even know they have this feature.

I don't want to name names, but this brand is spelled j-a-g-u-a-r.
Old 02-20-2001, 03:31 PM

Default Re: Rear Fog Lights

My previous car was a Volvo, and it too had only one rear fog light. It's really all that is necessary to keep someone from rear-ending you. In the front you obviously want two - one for each side, or you would have uneven lighting, like if one headlight was out.
Old 02-20-2001, 04:31 PM

Default There is a Technical listing on how to activate both rear fog lights simultaneously (thanks to GADGT

<ul><li><a href="https://www.audiworld.com/tech/ext20.shtml">https://www.audiworld.com/tech/ext20.shtml</a</li></ul>
Old 02-20-2001, 05:25 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Very simple...

In Germany (and I suspect some other Euro countries) it is illegal to have 2 rear foglights. Why they use the right rear fog and we have the left activated, I don't know. It is meant purely as a safety measure during FOG, not whenever someone wants to have it on (as in LA, everyone has their fog lights on, I guess they use them as smog lights
Why not have both on? easy...looks like the brake lights are on...probably not good to have everyone slamming on the brakes in fog.
Why don't Americans recognize this as a fog light and not just a burned out tail/brake light? easy...we don't know any better...very few cars have this here even though we too have fog. They don't teach single fog lights in driver's ed or during those damn traffic school courses (not that I've been to any...since I am a perfect driver
With all respect to GADGT, I agree, it looks better, but I will choose not to activate both as I think it is somewhat a hazard, and I rarely need it (used twice in 3+ months, and I was WANTING to use them). The front fogs don't really illuminate anything any better anyway, they just look cool.
Just my thoughts.
Old 02-20-2001, 06:19 PM

Default Re: No, here's what's worse

Have you ever had the pleasure of driving behind the other British disaster on wheels, the L-a-n-d R-o-v-e-r D-i-s-c-o-v-e-r-y. Same thing as the Jaguar, except much higher in order to blind you better.

2000 2.7T
black/onyx/vanilla
6sp/sport/xenons

Quick Reply: Rear Fog Lights