A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

REAR PSK SWAY BAR INSTALLED...more details... and couple notes (longish)

Search this Thread

Old 02-29-2004, 09:44 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default REAR PSK SWAY BAR INSTALLED...more details... and couple notes (longish)

So...I finally installed the rear PSK sway bar...with some major help of fellow audi guys from the Pacific Northwest Forum. I'd like to thank them first. And a big huge thank you to HPH for providing me with a free mod. THANK YOU THANK YOU!!!

I followed the instructions that Mark F. wrote up at <a href="https://www.audiworld.com/tech/wheel21.shtml">tech article to install sway bar</a>. The instructions were right on. We did jack up the car on stands and removed the wheels, which helped immensely, especially when getting to the all the nuts and bolts. So if you are going to do this, like the article states, taking the wheels off or even better, putting it on a lift really helps a lot. Also another note...be generous when lubing the bushings on the sway bar...I used a heavy duty corrosion resistant bearing grease and lubed the bushing and the area of the bar that the bushing sits on...if you don't lube it enough it will squeak. Having extra hands helps alot especially when taking off the mufflers from the hangers.. you don't want to drop that on someone's melon. The installation itself with 3 guys took 30 minutes.

So.. for the details after the install. hehe... I didn't think an 18mm sway bar would be that much different from my 15mm sway bar. Well...it makes a very big difference. Turns that I used to take with some nervousness are now a lot flatter. It's a whole new feeling. I mean wow. I sought after some twisties near my house and the car felt awesome...like I said, the nervousness of body roll on a turn has diminshed greatly. I can't imagine what the 21mm H-sport would feel like. If you have a non-sport A6... get a PSK sway bar or a H-sport...it's worth it.
The mod bug has bitten really hard. I want more.

So where do I go from here... well, I've decided on getting H&amp;R Coilovers... that will be my next mod. Then some wheels (haven't decided yet)...then the Stoptech Stage 2 kit that I wrote about here <a href="https://forums.audiworld.com/a6/msgs/351849.phtml">StopTech Stage 2 kit</a>. Xenon lights next and then finally tinting. Chipping may come somewhere but not yet. Well...that's it for me. I have a huge grin on my face and I can't wait until my drive to work tomorrow.
Old 03-01-2004, 03:26 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Congrats! ; ) I got mine on a few months ago an i've been loving it, soo much smoother and tighter
Old 03-01-2004, 04:28 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I'm disappointed that you didn't follow my mad-tech instructions.

Especially the part about releasing the middle exhaust hangar and having the exhaust system come down on your gut!

I had the same reaction/results from the bar. Coilovers next for me too. I would think twice about the brakes, unless you are doing it for cosmetic reasons (big, gaudy calipers). With upgraded pads (I've got EBC Green Stuff) you really can't ask for better street performance. The 2000 model has the "big" brakes from the 4.2 and S4.
Old 03-01-2004, 04:54 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Ditto
Old 03-01-2004, 07:10 AM

Default Anyone want a PSK bar? free to a good home, just cover shipping....

had it on my allroad for about a month before convincing H-Sport to make a set for the allroad.

I'm in Chicago west 'burbs so anyone local can just pick it up. Otherwise, just cover shipping.

Old 03-01-2004, 07:13 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Re: will it work on an avant?? I am interested,.
Old 03-01-2004, 07:17 AM

Potomac.. you released the middle hanger? ouch... haha...the brakes are for cosmetics... =)
Old 03-01-2004, 07:45 AM

Yup. Same p/n for all A6 bodied cars, including Avant. BTW- like your wheels
Old 03-01-2004, 10:25 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Yes. Very stupid and unnecessary. I was a few bolts away from doing a cat-back exhaust.
Old 03-01-2004, 11:56 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

then get some cool slotted rotors and paint those calipers...you'll love it.

Quick Reply: REAR PSK SWAY BAR INSTALLED...more details... and couple notes (longish)