A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

rearview mirror fell off

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2012, 08:21 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default rearview mirror fell off

Feh. Came out from work after a hot day and found my rearview mirror dangling from the wires - it's the autodim w/compass in the A6 2.7T. Disconnected the wires for the drive home and have been searching the forums and net to figure out how to reattach it.

Seems I can buy adhesive at the autoparts store, or pay a auto glass person to do reattach it for me.

What I'm unclear on is what to attach to what. There's a gray painted(?) circle on the windshield where this was mounted, then a clear semi-flexible plastic-like circle which has peeled off (presumably the adhesive), and a metal disk attached to the mirror. Now, I'm used to old school mirrors where you glue a disk to the windshield and attach the mirror to the mount.

Does this metal disk on the back of the mirror stem come off somehow? Or do I just leave it there and glue the metal to the glass? My main concern is if I'm going to have to sit there and hold / brace this mirror in place for hours on end so it doesn't pull off. Glueing a disk and attaching the mirror would be easier, but I don't see a way to get this metal disk off the mirror.

Suggestions welcomed!

TIA.
Old 06-03-2012, 05:33 AM
AudiWorld Member

There is a disk, and it's likely in the arm of the assembly that came off. Sorry, it's been a few years and I forget how I got it out--it's not obvious but there are two parts and the disk rotates about a quarter-turn.
Old 06-05-2012, 07:21 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default done - with pictures

Thanks for the tip!

I sorted this out myself, and given I couldn't find any detailed instructions online, I'm posting the details here along with pics (sorry only allowed 5 pics).

So, you've found your Audi's auto dimming rear view mirror with compass hanging from the ceiling, what do you do?

Need:
Vice grip pliers
alcohol
sandpaper
metal / glass epoxy (I chose 1 minute clear drying from Pep Boys. It must say metal and glass)

I recommend buying your own bits rather than using one of those preassembled kits. I don't trust the glue in those - the first one I tried failed miserably.

Steps:

1. Disconnect the wiring connector - just hold each end of the black plastic thing and pull them apart

2. Take vice grip pliers and grip edge of metal disk (mounting plate) on back of mirror arm and rotate disk 1/4 turn either direction. This is tricky, and the pliers will likely slip a few times, but you can get it off.

3. Rough up bottom of mounting plate and mounting spot on windshield with sandpaper

4. Clean bottom of mount plate and mounting spot with alcohol. Be sure not to touch either of these areas after cleaning - body oil from your hands will keep epoxy from bonding

5. Figure out which way is up on your mounting plate. See how the outside edge of the mounting plate is different one end and the other - one is a single bump, the other is two bumps with a space between it. Look at the inside of the mirror arm and see how it lines up. Notice the up-arrows I drew on my baseplate to mount it the right way up.

6. Mix epoxy. Depending on time, you may have less than a minute to mix, apply, and place the mounting plate.

7. Put a single large drop of epoxy on the back of the mounting plate. Not too much or it will ooze out the sides of the plate.

8. Place back of mounting plate on mounting disk on windshield. Press firmly in place and hold for 1-5 minutes depending on the set time for your epoxy.

9. Wait 24 hours

10. Attach back of wiring cover to mirror

11. Place mirror arm on mounting plate 1/4 turn out of final alignment, then rotate 1/4 turn to lock mirror onto mounting plate.

12. Attach wiring to mirror / wiring cover.

13. Place front of wiring cover over wiring.

14. Drive to open space, hold button in bottom of mirror until the direction (N/S/E/W) disappears. Drive in circles a few times to recalibrate the compass - you'll know once it starts showing directions again.

That's it.

This was for a 2002 Audi A6 2.7T with OEM auto dimming rear view mirror with compass.
Attached Images      
Old 06-10-2012, 04:27 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 101 Likes on 77 Posts

Classic repair procedure has been documented for years. This one is even done with an Audi mirror. I would not use a metal/glass epoxy from Pep Boyz unless it's a rear view mirror adhesive.

http://www.popularmechanics.com/cars...enance/4202332