A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

Recreating Sport Suspension on a 2000-2002?

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2003, 01:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Recreating Sport Suspension on a 2000-2002?

I've been shopping for a 2000-2002 2.7T or 4.2 and have noticed that, at least among the vehicles I've recently seen here in the SF Bay Area, the Sport Suspension package is not as popular an option as the Luxury or Premium packages.

I've done a few searches and have been trying to determine what it would take to "recreate" the sport suspension, as well as how estimate much it would cost.

Based upon previous threads, I understand the PSK 18mm sway bar is about $250, installed.

What brand/model springs and coils are in the Sport Suspension and what are approximate costs, including installation?
Old 02-08-2003, 02:13 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Keep in mind, the 2002 suspensions were all improved, including lighter unsprung parts.
Old 02-08-2003, 02:14 PM
AudiWorld Expert

Default welll

the rear bar is probably about $200 installed

The stock sport springs are about 20mm lower than what you have.

The stock sport shocks are stiffer.

You can go with stock sport springs for about $300-400, or eibach aftermarket springs (40mm lower) for about $250.

I do not know how much the stock sport shocks are. There are several aftermarket shock options, even bistein now.

Install for springs and shocks, with alignment can run between $400 TO $700.

Coil-over spring/shock units are more expensive, but take much less install time
Old 02-08-2003, 02:19 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default Re: I am working in this right now and will report VERY soon. <more>

I was able to make a killer deal on a new 2002 this past December, of course without Sport package. The Bilstein shocks are availible and I have the PSK springs and sway bar on had. As soon as I can get a hoist free we are installing this in the car this week.

Please stand by.

==m==
Mike
Old 02-08-2003, 03:02 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Did you change your shocks when you did your springs??
Old 02-08-2003, 05:51 PM
AudiWorld Super User

You should try to surpass the standard Audi sport suspension, not match it!
Old 02-08-2003, 05:55 PM
AudiWorld Expert

on the 2000 non-sport:Yes. On the 2003 w/sport:NO
Old 02-08-2003, 11:04 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default to surpass or not to surpass, that is the question!

I would imagine that some of the group either have other cars that may surpass the Audi in the total performance envelop department AND/OR may want a suspension that is competent on the road without undue sacrifice to ride quality. Nor do they want to drive a cow of a car, either.

My 2002 2.7t wallows over larger bumps and undulations. Part of that is tires and part of it is spring rates and shock damping. I just want to fix this standard feature and make sure the chassis can get out of its own way should the need arise. I would not be surprised if many owners of non-sport suspension would be satisfied by just going to a 235/45-17 tire and the PSK 18mm rear anti-roll bar. The car is quite competent at that point if placed in the hands of an experienced driver. Fast and healed on your ear beats flat and slow any day. &lt;big grin&gt;

My feeling is for a road car that has a stable turn-in up to the 80-90mph area. If it gets a bit floaty or becomes somewhat of a foggy read after that, it is fine. As a result one may not be willing to just stick it into a high-speed 100+ mph bend. In return, I expect to gain enormous ride quality benefits, especially on the tilted concrete slabs called Freeways around here. Such is life.

To this end I am going to try a set of Bilstein Sport (sold as HD in the States) and Jon's (2.7tdallas) 2003 Audi sport springs plus the PSK bar. I want to keep the ground clearance and suspension travel of these 15~15.5 inch ride height, 30% stiffer over standard spring rates. I believe the wonderful four-link suspension of the A6 will not mind the body roll too much and the car should retain its poise on rough surfaces much better than a car with marginal suspension travel that is doing most of its serious cornering on the bump stops. I have a lot of faith in the Bilstein's ability to blow off on the short, sharp bumps when valved properly while presenting a very controlled ride quality on the low acceleration and low velocity motion stuff. Anyway, that is the target.

I'll give this setup a try, if it looks close I can try and then adjust the tires to it by choosing either 235/45-17 or 235/40-18. I am inclined to go with 17, but my buddies all want to see 18's on the car for the bling facter. They all know I am about as far from bling as it gets, but I guess they are all still holding on to hope.

As I indicated briefly earlier I will provide a review as soon as I have lived with this setup for a few days.

-=M=-
Old 02-09-2003, 06:23 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Default 18's in SoCal would not be bad considering how good the roads are

but the reports are that the rims bend easily, and the ride suffers
Old 02-09-2003, 06:27 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Interesting choice.

Alot of guys with the PSK option chose to go with Eibachs, and retain stock PSK shocks. I have the PSK option on my car, and I think IT wallows too much too. I wonder if it is the shocks or the springs? Many who have replaced the sport springs with Eibachs said it completely removed the bounce effect.

But you're upgrading to the PSK option package for the sport springs, and going aftermarket shocks. I understand your desire to retain reide height, as I live in Bklyn and the roads can be pretty crappy around here. I am not sure I want to give up an additional 20mm of ride height either.

I am looking forward to reading your report.

Quick Reply: Recreating Sport Suspension on a 2000-2002?