A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

Reflections on smooth torque and a really well sorted out car (longish)...

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2002, 05:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Reflections on smooth torque and a really well sorted out car (longish)...

On my regular 210 km route to the farm this weekend in my S6 Avant, there was a lot of traffic (again) and I had some time to reflect why I really appreciate this car.

The route is about 150 km of (very crowded) freeway (the 401) and another 60 km of urban streets and rural back roads. I've only been able break 2 hour a few times, which, conditions being right, we can also do comfortably in the Volvo. So, why is this Audi worth almost twice as much?

Basicly, I reflected, it's how smoothly and well the S6 does everything. 120 km/hr (prevailing traffic speed) is at the sweet spot in the S6 torque curve and, if there is a traffic gap, it disappears effortlessly -- no gear downs, no noise, just smooth, melodious power. Passing and lane changes are likewise effortless and drama-free.

My previous Grand Cherokee V8 also had good torque, but travelling at speed and any manoevres were melodramatic affairs. The Volvo will cruise quite comfortably at 150 km/hr +, but don't try anything sudden at that speed.

So with my two kids comfortably in the back watching a movie and asleep (respectively), I made a couple of Japanese imports and an upstart minivan disappear and thought yet again -- what a great car!

P.S. Only a bit of questionable driving and the low profile of the S6 saved me from a serious ticket. Growing impatient with a Maxima in the left lane, I did a quick pass right on a curve. Just out of sight on the outside of that curve, an OPP constable was pointing his LIDAR into the fast lane, but didn't get me because I was temporaritly out of his sight!