A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

Removing ballpoint ink mark from leather

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2000, 08:53 AM
Neil48

Default Removing ballpoint ink mark from leather

The homework brigade put a noticable ballpoint mark on the back of the leather seat. Has anyone managed to safely remove this type of mark from the leather (melange) I have tried some srubbing gently with woolite liquid concentrate and "Coach" leather cleaner both applied with a q-tip. The mark is lighter but still very much in view. I have heard that hairspray might work but don't want the cure to be worse than the problem.
Old 02-07-2000, 01:06 PM
William

Default Hairspray. Apply liberally and let sit for a few moments. Wipe gently

before it dries. You may have to do it a few times. After you get it all off, wipe the area with plenty of water. Apply a leather care product (zymol, lexol etc. . .) and it should be fine. Oh, try Aqua Net hairspray. It seems to work the best.

Buy a can at the local store and keep it in the garage.

Good Luck,

William

note: get the kid's the ink pen's that can be erased for car use. Keep one in each storage compartment. It comes off much easier.
Old 02-07-2000, 07:34 PM
Eric

Default Aqua Net is the best for removal of ink from metal sufaces of all hairsprays.

Be careful with leather. Aqua Net was used in grocery stores to remove the ink stamped pricing marks from cans before they had scanners and label guns. It was the "gold standard" of hairsprays for this type of removal. Most of the others did not work well. It liquifies the ink that can be wiped off with a terry towel while wet but will smear if allowed to dry. Try a small test first, I have never used it on leather. Good luck! And to think women use it on their hair.