A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

Replace CAM Plug A6 2.8

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2014, 08:34 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 75 Likes on 74 Posts

Just to clear up confusion indoor he is not talking about cam caps . he is talking about Cam plugs at the back of the head. yes mine werent as tight as i would have liked . But after a run they were like friggen welded in ...
Old 05-27-2014, 08:24 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm not sure I understand. At the back of the engine on driver's side block the camshafts(two) have either a cam cap or a cam seal. The cam seal (rubber ring) can't be removed without the valve cover. So the cam cap is the only option Unless we're talking about electrical plug
Old 05-27-2014, 08:37 AM
Tech Guru

Received 107 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by indoor
The cam seal (rubber ring) can't be removed without the valve cover. So the cam cap is the only option Unless we're talking about electrical plug
Either one can be changed with the valve cover in place.
Old 05-27-2014, 12:46 PM
AudiWorld Member

Well, he's talking about the cam seal(ring) then. Never tried it, but I guess it could be possible to remove it by taking off the cam position sensor and position ring. BUT it could be really tight in there. When I did it, I removed the last end cam cap(the long one that goes over both cam shafts) since I had the valve cover off.

That's why I tell people to replace all seals when they do the valve covers. You can do end cam plugs(plastic covered metal plugs), cam seals(rubber ring) and cam chain tensioner seal and half moon. All these without touching the timing belt(which is at the opposite side of the cam plugs on the same cam shaft).
Old 05-27-2014, 12:53 PM
Tech Guru

Received 107 Likes on 98 Posts

Well, he's talking about the cam seal(ring) then. Never tried it, but I guess it could be possible to remove it by taking off the cam position sensor and position ring. BUT it could be really tight in there. When I did it, I removed the last end cam cap(the long one that goes over both cam shafts) since I had the valve cover off.
I do it the same way. It's much easier.
But it is certainly not impossible to change it with the caps in place.

That's why I tell people to replace all seals when they do the valve covers. You can do end cam plugs(plastic covered metal plugs), cam seals(rubber ring) and cam chain tensioner seal and half moon. All these without touching the timing belt(which is at the opposite side of the cam plugs on the same cam shaft).
I agree. I prefer to all of it during the timing belt service.
Old 05-28-2014, 11:45 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

To do it so it wont leak in a year, remove the valve cover, remove the cam bearing cap over the plug, remove, clean, use small amount of silicone around the plug and reinstall the plug and the cap over it. Just prying out and pushing in not only leaves possibility for doing damage to the head, but it just doesnt make a lasting repair.

Do yourself a favor and replace the cam chain tensioner gaskets and half moons. Your probably chasing an oil leak and replacing just the valve covers and cam plugs is only half the job and you will still have oil leaks.
Old 05-28-2014, 04:43 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Train has left the tracks. Easy to replace and it hasn't leaked again.

For any 2.8 owner who is tired of breathing burnt oil, order the cam plugs, (about $5ea) read this thread, and do it! I wished I'd done it a couple years ago.

Sealant is NOT recommended.

Good Luck
Steve
Old 05-28-2014, 05:13 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by steveinky

Sealant is NOT recommended.

Nobody said glob half a tube of orange rtv all over it. Its a slight dressing to help any shrinkage of the rubber and extend its usefulness many years. Same with chain tensioner half moons, slight bit of black rtv on the corners of the half moon. Why do you think Audi/Vw had a TSB on resealing valve cover gaskets using silicone on the corners. The rubber shrinks some in a short amount of time and begins leaking at the corners.
Old 05-29-2014, 04:35 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

My experience is very limited; I've only done this once. Apparently, the cam plugs expand when heated, and, unlike valve cover gaskets, Audi recommends you put 'em in dry.

But hey, if I'm wrong and it starts leaking in a year or 2, I'll blow another 5 minutes and 5 bucks and do it again. It is that easy!

Have a nice day
Steve
Old 05-29-2014, 05:30 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 75 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by steveinky
My experience is very limited; I've only done this once. Apparently, the cam plugs expand when heated, and, unlike valve cover gaskets, Audi recommends you put 'em in dry.

But hey, if I'm wrong and it starts leaking in a year or 2, I'll blow another 5 minutes and 5 bucks and do it again. It is that easy!

Have a nice day
Steve
I did it this way and he is Bang on correct.. They DO expand once heated and seal friggen tight. The only recomendation I would make is just clean the orofice really well before putting in new plug.