A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

Replace instrument cluster

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2015, 05:21 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Replace instrument cluster

Hello.

Has anyone tried to replace the instrument cluster in a A6 ? Mine is a 2001 model. It has the usual pixel fault on the center display.

My cluster has the imobilizer , and the small LCD screen.

Does anyone know if this cluster can be replaced, if I have the VCDS software? And also, is it possible to install a cluster with the bigger display on it ?

Thanks for all answers.
Old 07-18-2015, 07:22 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 99 Likes on 76 Posts
Default It's trivial if you STFA. Just remove it, send it out,

Originally Posted by Eddie123
Hello.

Has anyone tried to replace the instrument cluster in a A6 ? Mine is a 2001 model. It has the usual pixel fault on the center display.

My cluster has the imobilizer , and the small LCD screen.

Does anyone know if this cluster can be replaced, if I have the VCDS software? And also, is it possible to install a cluster with the bigger display on it ?

Thanks for all answers.
(module masters or somesuch, google is your friend), pay your $65 or so and reinstall it.

That being said, welcome to the forum.
Old 07-18-2015, 07:26 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

You can send the cluster in and have the module replaced at several shops. Module Masters, BBA, etc. Takes a couple of days and costs much less than a new module. To replace the entire cluster, you have to recode it and you need the SKC Secret Key Code. There are some free programs that allow retrieval like vag commander. You need to be a techie computer user to do this without screwing things up. VCDS will work once you have the SKC, but VCDS will not recover the SKC.

I would pull the cluster and send it in, so you get your own cluster that is matched to the car. To pull the cluster, you pop off the little plastic cover over the steering column in front of the cluster to access two screws. They are very tight, do not mess up the heads. Then pull out the cluster and unhook the wires. There are DIY's on this site.
Old 07-18-2015, 07:48 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by SloopJohnB@mac.com
(module masters or somesuch, google is your friend), pay your $65 or so and reinstall it.

Thanks to both of you for the advice. I had a look at module masters website, and it is a bit more than 65USD, it is actually 150 USD, plus transport back and to. So I am not sure what the total bill will be ....

More expencive than i thougth, but at least I now have an option...
Old 07-18-2015, 07:49 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Oh, and I just noticed, Module masters are in the US.... I am in Norway, maybe I can find a European company that do the same repair...
Old 07-18-2015, 09:07 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Maybe, but international mail might work too.

Oh, and I just noticed, Module masters are in the US.... I am in Norway, maybe I can find a European company that do the same repair...
Depends on how long you can be without your car. I think the immobilizers kicked in with 02 C5s but maybe earlier in Europe. Our 2K4.2A6Q did not have an immobilizer and I was able to drive it without the instrument cluster (of course without any instrument or speed/tach feedback…OLD SCHOOL.

You can try removing your cluster and see if you can start and move the car. If so, just package the cluster up with bubble wrap and ship it. Since you're neither exporting/importing it you should be able to do it without duty but you'll find out quicker than me.

A google search on lcd repair norway search string yielded:
LCD display pixel repair ribbon - instrument cluster OBC
They apparently do a lot of europe/middle east work. Check it out.

By the way; have you watched "Lillyhammer"?
Lilyhammer (TV Series 2012? ) - IMDb

Kind of funny, one of my friends from New York City is Norwegian extraction (she says her father was on the '56 Olympic ski jump team) and his skiing style proves it…he mostly just goes straight down, doesn't like to turn. I was 40 hours of paid instruction away from PSIA cert and ended up skiing with her mother who (says) really enjoyed learning how to carve on the new skis…they're both in their 80s.

Last edited by SloopJohnB@mac.com; 07-18-2015 at 09:11 AM.
Old 07-18-2015, 09:09 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Hey.

Yes, mine has the immobilizer, so I cant use the car with the cluster out ..
Maybe just have to sort something else out, cant be without my car ...

Depends on how long you can be without your car. I think the immobilizers kicked in with 02 C5s but maybe earlier in Europe. Our 2K4.2A6Q did not have an immobilizer and I was able to drive it without the instrument cluster (of course without any instrument or speed/tach feedback…OLD SCHOOL.

You can try removing your cluster and see if you can start and move the car. If so, just package the cluster up with bubble wrap and ship it. Since you're neither exporting/importing it you should be able to do it without duty but you'll find out quicker than me.

By the way; have you watched "Lillyhammer"?
Lilyhammer (TV Series 2012? ) - IMDb

Kind of funny, one of my friends from New York City is Norwegian extraction (she says her father was on the '56 Olympic ski jump team) and his skiing style proves it…he mostly just goes straight down, doesn't like to turn. I was 40 hours of paid instruction away from PSIA cert and ended up skiing with her mother who (says) really enjoyed learning how to carve on the new skis…they're both in their 80s.
Old 07-18-2015, 09:13 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default At that point you'll have to do a dealer/loaner car

Hey.

Yes, mine has the immobilizer, so I cant use the car with the cluster out ..
Maybe just have to sort something else out, cant be without my car ...
or rent a car while the cluster is being repaired.
The dealer cost for the 4.2 cluster replace was around $1100 a few years ago...