A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

Replaced TC, no CEL, but tranny still whines and shifts weird

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2009, 01:40 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Replaced TC, no CEL, but tranny still whines and shifts weird

As the title of the thread indicates. I replaced the torque converter due to the common torque converter slip CEL and it now locks up regularly and firmly. However I still get whining during certain shifts (2-3 and 3-4 I think) and the shifts are not what I'd consider ideal (short shift usually, flare maybe occasionally).

The background:

2003 A6 Avant 3.0 quattro, 120K miles. Changed the filter and did a 100% fluid flush to Castrol Import Multivehicle (syn blend) when doing the TC. I've read a lot of post about whining due to low fluid levels, and also a couple of post about trimming the filter neck due to the filter being too close to the pan. I did the TB and trans adaptation as well. I was hoping the TC was causing the issues with the shifting but no such luck.

Just wondering if anyone has any similar experiences with a whine during shifts and odd shifts? Fixable by valve body/ external rebuild, or do I need to take in for a full rebuild? Any advice greatly appreciated (except the Castrol is causing the noise because it was there before too).
Old 05-05-2009, 01:49 PM
Tech Guru

Received 107 Likes on 98 Posts

The full fluid flush scares me. And I think the comment about trimming the filler neck and low fluid issues is interesting; it would seem to me that trimming the filler neck would cause low fluid.

Regardless, have you checked the fluid level since the TC was installed? That would be my first suggestion. After that, when was the last time you pulled codes?
Old 05-05-2009, 03:21 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Checked fluid level and pulled codes today didn't take more than a couple pumps of fluid at 40deg C. No tranny codes, just a cat code related to replacing 2 of 4 O2 sensors as a maintenance item, can't win with this car.

I should've been more specific, I did not trim the filter (or filler neck). The thread I read refered to trimming the filTer neck to bring the filter up off the pan in case the filter and pan were too close together in the event of an aftermarket filter being a little different or the pan being dented. Was wondering if I should try this... I agree that trimming the filLer neck would indeed lower the level.

In any event,I'm not sure how I could get more fluid into the thing (level check with engine running), I do not think it's a fluid level issue as it only whines during specific shifts. Once it's in gear (a couple seconds after shift) it pulls like it never has before.
Old 05-07-2009, 08:46 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Are you sure it's the trans and not something else?

maybe the noise is originating from somewhere like the alternator or a tensioner for the T-belt or Serp belt???
Old 05-10-2009, 04:21 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

It's definiely not an engine mounted belt, no noises in park or neutral when reving. The noise is only present for a couple of seconds around a couple of shifts.
Old 05-10-2009, 04:29 PM
eep
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oh crap?

I've just started having the same symptoms on my '01 2.7t, though the circumstances are slightly different. I had scheduled a bit of servicing last weekend (belts, water pump, pulleys, aux. water pump, rad. fan, plugs, filters, various sensors, etc) because things were due and/or broken. The Friday night before I started the servicing I found myself plowing through a bit over a foot of water (don't judge, y'all ... I'm normally a bit more sensible about these things) and by the time I got home the transmission was slipping a bit under load.

I decided I'd add a transmission fluid flush because of that, so I got the kit from Blau. Old fluid out (black but still slick, lots of crud on the magnets in the pan), new fluid and filter in; the 5 quarts that I got from Blau all went in and I'm still a bit worried that it wasn't quite enough; the instructions that came with the kit said that if a bit of fluid runs out of the filler before the fluid temperature gets to 40°C, it's good; I didn't get any fluid coming out until 40 exactly. Eh.

Now the slipping is gone, but shifting from 2nd to 3rd (and to a lesser degree, 3rd to 4th) I get a whine that sounds a bit like belt slippage (it's definitely not a belt); not a great shift but once it's in gear and the whining has stopped things seem to be fine.

As an additional data point (maybe related to the water incident) when I try to pull codes for the transmission, I get this:

<tt>Address 02: Auto Trans (AG5) Labels: 01V-927-156.lbl
&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;Part No: 4B0 927 156 BD
&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;Component: AG5 01V 2.7l5VT USA 3131
&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;Shop #: WSC 00000 000 00000

No Faults Found
&nbsp;&nbsp;or DTCs not supported by controller
&nbsp;&nbsp;or a communication error occurred</tt>

... which is definitely different than I remember seeing in the past.

At this point I'm thinking about getting another quart of fluid and seeing how much (if any) of that I can get in; maybe it is just low. The only thing I know for sure about this car is that it's a HUGE step down in terms of maintainability (among other things) from the cars they were making in the 90s.

Of course there's the additional question of "am I causing permanent/long-term damage to the transmission due to an otherwise easily fixable problem?"
Old 05-10-2009, 04:39 PM
Tech Guru

Is the TCU dry?

Perhaps the flush is part of the issue? Change fluid, never flush.
Old 05-10-2009, 04:50 PM
eep
AudiWorld Member

Maybe "flush" was the wrong word ... I pulled the drain plug, got ATF all over my arm and the garage floor, then pulled the pan off, new filter, clean the magnets on the pan, pan back on, refill.

All of it was per the couple of pages of instructions from Blau that came with their kit.
Old 05-10-2009, 05:30 PM
Tech Guru

Default Much better. No flush. (assuming that was a response to my post)

Please try to post your responses correctly. Check out threaded view if you don't understand.
Old 05-11-2009, 05:21 PM
eep
AudiWorld Member

Hope I get the reply thing right this time. Changed to threaded view. You kids these days and your fancy forums! etc.

Anyway. No water got inside the car, but I checked the TCU anyway and it does appear dry. I'm going to order some more fluid and see if that helps at all.

Just as an additional data point, I'm getting the screeching noise in 1st gear now too, and sometimes 4th gear. Hope I'm not cooking anything!

Quick Reply: Replaced TC, no CEL, but tranny still whines and shifts weird