A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

replacement headlight question

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2011, 09:44 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default replacement headlight question

2001 A^ 2.7T with self-leveling Xenon headlights. Passenger side almost always has condensation inside and driver's side rubber seal/gasket has turned to gooey dust. I'd like to replace both side units, but cringe at OEM prices. Have seen a number of after market and like the looks of the ones with the new-look LED parking light 'eye liner'.
Previous research suggests I need to be careful with lens design with Xenons to avoid blinding oncoming traffic and tor properly focus the light.

Are there any affordable aftermarket lamp housings that I can use?

Any I should definitely avoid?

Thanks,

Bill
Old 05-10-2011, 08:09 AM
Head Cat Herder

Received 85 Likes on 48 Posts

I'd consider trying to salvage the OEM lights or finding used OEM or even European spec lights. I've heard too many horror stories of the aftermarket lights. I used to get a lot of condensation in my lights, I started leaving the backs off on dry days while parked to let them dry out.

I'd think you could replace the rubber gasket in the lights with something that would work just as well. The yellowing can be polished away to make them look like new on the outside as well.

I'm hoping someone has some positive comments regarding some aftermarket lights though. =)
Old 05-12-2011, 10:14 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

fwiw I just replaced the HID Xenon headlights on my 2001 A6 2.7t with new Hella OEMs that I picked up on ebay. Expensive to the tune of $800/pair. I decided against replacing them myself. My independent shop (BR Racing, Los Gatos, CA) noted that a lot of folks bring in the Angel Eyes LED trim headlights and since there's a lot of labor in wiring these it costs more to install them.

So, are you going to install them yourself?

Will they hold up like or better than the Hella's?

Then perhaps the LED trimmed lights will be the ticket.
Old 05-12-2011, 10:58 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 99 Likes on 76 Posts

Gotta wonder if something like this could be made to fit:

http://www.rmeuropean.com/Part-Numbe..._E095124A.aspx

It's a genuine BMW part but perhaps it's too large/long and could be cut to fit.
Old 05-12-2011, 12:16 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

i did the catercorner recently, 1 of my headlights had condensation issues so i though why not do the clearcorner mod and seal them up real good. You will have to take the headlight out and put it in the oven for 5 min and the lens should come right off. I sealed them up with RTV Silicone. No more condensation and hey, it beats buying new headlights for 500$ and its not that hard to do. Make sure you get a clear or black silicone! If you are creative, buy an led light-bar and glue it in there, a friend of mine did that on his mercedes c320 and it actually looks really good!
Old 05-12-2011, 12:28 PM
AudiWorld Member

I have some condensation issues. I tried sealing with clear silicone but somehow it didn't solve the problem. I figured that I would just run a bead along the top of the light housing where the clear lens meets the back housing...seemed like a logical point of entry for moisture (gravity and all...) But it didn't work. If anyone who has done this can comment on the likely weak point (i.e. if there is a design flaw that creates the problem), I would appreciate it.
Old 05-12-2011, 12:40 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

You will have to take the lens off and where the opening is, the black part where the clear lens later gets pressed in fill that with silicone all the way around and dont hold back on the silicone, what i did is press the tip ontop and fill until flat with the top. Fill the opening completely and then press the lens in and install the metal clamps and let dry overnight, this worked perfectly for both my headlights.
Old 05-12-2011, 01:36 PM
AudiWorld Member

Could you/did you do it without removing the entire headlight housing? I've seen the metal clips you refer to; just wondering how much disassembly is necessary.
Old 05-12-2011, 03:14 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by INTENDED Acceleration
Could you/did you do it without removing the entire headlight housing? I've seen the metal clips you refer to; just wondering how much disassembly is necessary.
unfortunately you will have to remove the complete headlight, you will have to heat up the edges either with a heat-gun or put the whole thing in the oven for 5 min. There are 3 screws, the 2 you see on top and there is a hole in the fender where you have to use an extension to get to the lower bolt. Disconnect the headlight connector on the back. Once they are out you have to maneuver the headlight properly to get it out. It is a little tricky and a pain in the ***! But its better than spending those $ on a new assembly and you would have to take it out anyway if you where to get a new headlight! Once you have it out take the metal clips off and heat the edges up with a heat gun or put it in the oven. Then pull on the lens and it should come right off. Make sure you dont touch the chrome coating on the inside. Now there should still be some remaining sealant in the space, take a heatgun/hairdryer and heat the remaining glue back up and take your silicone and fill the space up. Once you have gone all the way around take the lens and pop it back on and press hard on it. Take the metal clips and put them back on, let dry overnight and install the next day.

what year is your a6?
Old 05-12-2011, 11:41 PM
AudiWorld Member

markaardvark - i got the impression they were plug'n'play, but I'll look more carefully, now - Thanks

Quick Reply: replacement headlight question