A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

replacing pass glass laminate or tempered?

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2009, 12:37 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default replacing pass glass laminate or tempered?

Called a few different dealerships asking if I can use tempered glass and none knew if I could or not. They of course recommended the 4x more expensive laminate piece,but still can sell me the tempered piece. They didn't know if the seals/motor was the same for the tempered glass can anyone help me out here?

thanks!
Old 12-17-2009, 01:14 PM
Tech Guru

Received 107 Likes on 98 Posts

I thought all but the windshield is tempered?
Old 12-17-2009, 01:35 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by 4Driver4
I thought all but the windshield is tempered?
The way my glass broke points to it being a laminate(large cracks with no spiderwebing). There was also a break in the '98 vin#'s so this could be true in the latter half of the year.

I've talked to two Audi dealers and both recommend the laminate glass,but after searching around here I see there's two adjustment functions that can be performed to firm/loosen the glass in the window frame.

Anyone have any experience with this?
Old 12-17-2009, 02:11 PM
AudiWorld Member

If the window was tinted, the tint will hold the shards together making it seem as if it's laminated when chances are it's just tempered. The shards of tempered glass are also quite tiny compared to the large shards that laminated glass produces.

The most telling feature of laminated glass is, however, that it holds its shape quite well when broken because of the thin plastic sheet that exists between the two outer thin glass sheets.

That said, when you roll down the other side windows and examine the edge of the glass, is it ground with a smooth rounded edge (in which case it's likely tempered) or is it flat with what looks like a striped channel running down the middle of the edge of the glass where the plastic laminate is sandwiched between two thin sheets of glass (in which case it's likely laminated)?

Coming from an '02 Volvo S80 T6 which was factory equipped with the laminated side window glass option, I did find it odd that the '02 A6 4.2 has regular tempered glass side windows.

Last edited by monkeytronic; 12-17-2009 at 02:20 PM.
Old 12-17-2009, 03:06 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by monkeytronic
If the window was tinted, the tint will hold the shards together making it seem as if it's laminated when chances are it's just tempered. The shards of tempered glass are also quite tiny compared to the large shards that laminated glass produces.

The most telling feature of laminated glass is, however, that it holds its shape quite well when broken because of the thin plastic sheet that exists between the two outer thin glass sheets.

That said, when you roll down the other side windows and examine the edge of the glass, is it ground with a smooth rounded edge (in which case it's likely tempered) or is it flat with what looks like a striped channel running down the middle of the edge of the glass where the plastic laminate is sandwiched between two thin sheets of glass (in which case it's likely laminated)?

Coming from an '02 Volvo S80 T6 which was factory equipped with the laminated side window glass option, I did find it odd that the '02 A6 4.2 has regular tempered glass side windows.
Well the dealer said per my VIN that it was laminate. It looks like someone tried breaking the glass multiple times and from each impact there are longer cracks (no spiderwebing). From what I can see there isn't any tint on the window of course that being said the edges are smooth haha...

I spoke to another dealer and he had said the tempered glass is thicker and my car might not accomodate this. However searches here indicate there are two adjustment areas in the door to firm/loosen up the fit. The various dealers didn't want to really investigate this (not a surprise).

I may just try the tempered piece at a quarter of the price. One shop said they can install it and if it doesn't work they will order the laminate and I won't have to pay. It would be good to hear from someone who has dealt with this problem though.
Old 12-21-2009, 06:37 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 101 Likes on 77 Posts

Hmmm, another thing to check when buying a used C5...whether some cheap PO put in tempered glass. Ought to reduce the price of the car by a thousand or so.