A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

Replacing PS return lines?

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2011, 11:23 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Replacing PS return lines?

A while back, I flushed the PS system...removed the return line between the cooler and the reservoir, reinstalled with a hose clamp, and all was well until the first cold snap (or maybe it just took that long), when I began to hear the pump cavitating and added fluid (bad sign...adding fluid means there's a leak). Didn't have an opportunity to look at it until yesterday, when it started making noise again (incidentally, another cold snap), and I found pinhole leaks at the cooler end of the return line from the rack, and a leak in the vicinity of the new hose clamp on the cooler side of the return line to the reservoir.

I did not mess with the return line from the rack, only the line to the reservoir. Are these lines (low pressure, remember) simply getting old? It's an 04, I certainly don't have a problem replacing 7-year old hoses, but I'm concerned I did something to damage the lines.

I flushed with the Audi Pentosin...the green stuff. What came out was red, and filthy...it had not been changed previously, with 100K miles on the car.

Dealer wants well over 100$ per hose, which is simply stupid. These are low-pressure return lines...can I have something made local from Aeroquip or the like?

Is this what I'm after?

http://www.autopartswarehouse.com/se...+Steering+Hose

Because if that's the case, I'm going to use the appropriate US-made low-pressure fuel/oil line available at the local ranch supply for a buck a foot. The larger of the leaks seems to be on the easy-to-replace line from the reservoir to the cooler. Is there a fitting on the line from the rack (it uses a banjo bolt) to the cooler, and is it a standard fitting?

Thanks all!

-Sean
Old 12-06-2011, 01:40 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 614 Likes on 511 Posts
Default My experiences

Mine is a 2000 4.2 and now 12 years old at 127K miles. Owned since new. I have done the full flush by opening the low pressure lines at clamp points and drawing in new fluid from the reservoir return hose. My experience is the lines do tend to deteriorate, but only at the ends (likely air or fluid interaction). They are also prone to receding under the clamp some. Fixes simple--just trim off line ends a tiny bit, and check clamps some months after I have opened anything; they typically have needed a second snug up after I have opened it for some reason.
Old 12-06-2011, 01:45 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by MP4.2+6.0
My experience is the lines do tend to deteriorate, but only at the ends (likely air or fluid interaction).
Exactly what seems to be happening here. The pinholes aren't even -at- the OEM clamp as I'd suspect, they're just nearby.

They are also prone to receding under the clamp some. Fixes simple--just trim off line ends a tiny bit, and check clamps some months after I have opened anything; they typically have needed a second snug up after I have opened it for some reason.
Good to know, I'll try that first! Thanks for the help.
Old 12-06-2011, 09:35 PM
AudiWorld Member

Further inspection revealed the return line between the rack and the cooler is completely rotten, several inches above the clamp and normally hidden from view by the flex tube wrapper. The return line to the reservoir, and the area under the pipe clamp I installed, actually seems to be in decent shape.

The Bentley manual I have (the maintenance-oriented version) is completely worthless as far as accessing the steering rack, and the banjo fitting at the other end of the damaged hose. Does the Bentley service manual include the necessary procedure? Accessing that fitting doesn't require something asinine like pulling the engine, does it?

TIA,
Sean
Old 12-07-2011, 09:06 AM
AudiWorld Member

Found some articles, for an A8, A4 and my 2.7T A6...

http://www.audipages.com/Tech_Articl...eer/srack.html

https://www.audiworld.com/tech/misc-40.shtml

http://www.justanswer.com/audi/4p1zh...ring-rack.html

https://www.audiworld.com/forums/sho....php?t=2803825

All I need is to get at one banjo bolt, not remove the entire rack. I'm going to take a look tonight, but any tips or suggestions in advance would be much appreciated.

TIA,
Sean
Old 12-07-2011, 08:12 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 101 Likes on 77 Posts

aeroquip? Not SS but kevlar braided. The blue colored stuff.
Old 12-08-2011, 02:42 PM
AudiWorld Member

Yeah, that's the stuff...it's pretty bomber. Bilstein uses it on their remote reservoir shocks...very durable, much more so than the dubious stuff Audi used for these hoses.

Unless you have a better suggestion? I was thinking Aeroquip because it's multi-layer, and the outer layer is pretty durable...that hose is fairly exposed to grime and my car didn't come with a belly pan. I'm not even sure if it had one from the factory.
Old 12-08-2011, 06:21 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 101 Likes on 77 Posts

Oh yeh...it had one from the factory. Previous owner probably ditched it...they're kind of spend to replace and they're plastic. I'm surprised no one has fabbed up an aluminum plate one...every car I've ever owned that it was possible to replace the belly pan with aluminum I did so (volvo..).