A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

Retire A6 2.7T Does this mean the car isn't worth much in the future?

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2004, 05:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Retire A6 2.7T Does this mean the car isn't worth much in the future?

I plan on keeping my 2003 2.7T for at least 10 years. Does this mean the value of the car if kept in mint condition will depreciate to basically nothing as I suspect or does anyone think that the lack of supply will keep the car worth up? Any thoughts?
Old 02-03-2004, 05:35 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I think it will keep the price up, the B5 S4 has held its value very well since they stopped making

it.
Old 02-03-2004, 05:38 PM

Default It's possible and the thought has crossed my mind, too...

But I think it'll still hold value well just because it's an Audi. *crosses fingers*
Old 02-03-2004, 05:52 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default My take is: I think it will hold it's value, esp as more young

tuners find out about it! Maybe wishful thinking, we'll see!
Old 02-03-2004, 06:28 PM
AudiWorld Uber User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Any car you keep for 10 years will be worth virtually nothing, unless a collector's item.

That said, the tunability of the 2.7t will always hold some appeal to people who like to tweak - cheaply;-)
Old 02-03-2004, 07:23 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default Re: Any car you keep for 10 years will be worth virtually nothing, unless a collector's item.

I agree with April. When I bought my Audi (2000 4.2 A6), I had planned on selling a 1993 Thunderbird SC. The dealers didn't even want to touch it. Finally I found a site like this one for SCs, posted an ad, and a guy came out from Iowa (I am in Connecticut) with a certified check and drove it home. It was an old car with limited appeal (in spite of it being in excellent condition with low mileage) and only of interest to someone who was an enthusiast. Cars are NOT an investment, no matter how much we would like to think so.
Old 02-03-2004, 07:52 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default It'll cover a moderate down payment

At least here in CA, most anything that passes smog and isn't wrecked is worth $2000. Clean imports seem to level off at $3000-$5000 depending on luxury level. When I helped my son shop for his first car a couple years ago, I was amazed at the prices of 10+ year old well-maintained cars sold for. Even clean old (late 80s) Mazdas and Nissans with 200K miles seem to bring $2000 pretty readily. My next door neighbor had an '87 Volvo with 185K miles, clear coat leprosy and an interior that chickens wouldn't live in and he had people lined up to buy it for $2500 last year. Since Audis between '85 and '95 are rare, there's not much data, but I think the A6 will do comparitively well once it mellows to senior status (provided we're not paying $5/gal in a couple years).
Old 02-03-2004, 09:34 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Tell that to my UrS6 : )

Just like supra's, rx-7's, 300zx's etc. I believe highly tuneable turbo cars like the 2.7T will go up in value, more so once the 2.7T engine is phased completely out of production and tuning options become more diverse and mature. Especially if audi continues to shy away from turbochargers in sub 70k cars.

AWK
Old 02-03-2004, 11:41 PM
AudiWorld Uber User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default It all has to do with mileage and condition.

Also, limited edition high performance models will always have a little greater draw than their regular production brothers. So to compare your UrS6, you'll need to look at the RS6 now. Of course that will hold much better value than a 2.7t.

Technically my car is virtually worthless by KBB standards, but given constant maintainence to keep it in nearly new condition, there are a few crazy Alfisti who might pay several times that amount to have it. Is it worthwhile in the grand scheme of having spent $3K a year in maintainence for the last 13 years, for a car only worth $5K now? Depends who's buying. Becomes a niche market.

Will we see a $5K A6 2.7t? Sure. Would you want to own it? Probably not. But the "average" 10 year old A6, with "average miles" for that age (150K) is going to be a can of worms for the next owner unless the first owner maintains it to a high standard. How many people have the knowledge, will and the funds to do that for 10 years? Very few from what I've seen.

Sure there will be cheap car enthusiast nuts out there willing to risk it on a highly modifiable car, but they'll want a low enough buy-in to make it worth the risk. The purists will probably seek out the S4. The A6 2.7t is more likely to be sought out as a donor car for the S4s IMHO.

If like most cars, they will go from being cool, to being beaters, to finally being desirable if fixable/repairable. The trick is to avoid them needing total refurbishing. There are very few cars that individually make it through that cycle.

The Supra made the cut because it was easy to mod, reliable, and a sexy coupe. The A6 2.7t is going to appeal to a smaller audience because it isn't a Toyota, it seems to be more finicky to mod correctly while incorporating reliability, and it is a sedan with love it or hate it styling. Certainly it will have a stronger following that the G35 or GS400, but it doesn't inspire lust in the general public ;-)

The general rule though is that unless limited production or very special in some way, a car just isn't an investment. If it is worth something one day down the road, then count it as a lucky coincidence and nothing more. Don't plan to make money. The market is fickle for pretty much anything except a select few cars.

I get a lot of people asking for my opinion on older "cool" cars that they think might appreciate some day. I tell them to buy the very best example they can find (since that is always cheaper than starting with a fixer-upper) and only if they love it enough to not care if it is/becomes worthless.
Old 02-04-2004, 03:57 AM

With Audi's famous resale, it's not worth much now!!

Quick Reply: Retire A6 2.7T Does this mean the car isn't worth much in the future?