A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

Roadtrip report :-)

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2001, 06:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Roadtrip report :-)

Yay, back in Cali! Bay area via Denver and Las Vegas. I videotaped EVERY mile; my UPS gizmo did the trick - wired the battery leads of the UPS into a lighter jack, and presto - instant 120V to power the vcr, camcorder, and laptop. I also recorded the whole route on the GPS, dumping all the data in real-time into the laptop (65MB worth).

Speed traps seen en route: 3
Encounters with cops: 1 (I had pulled over to swap a tape and he just pulled up behind me - so I just gave him the OK gesture and off he went)
Scary moments: about 5. Including almost hitting a deer, a cow, getting cut off by a cell-phone weilding mustang driver, and getting cut off by a big rig (all caught on tape)
Oops: Drove the wrong way on a one way street in Iowa City... so THAT's why there was no stopsign!
Left lane bandits: 8,211. And damn, I forgot my gun!
Money lost in Vegas: $60.45

No problems along the way, car was a pleasure as always - even when it hit 106F in Bakersfield. Driving the route to the Grand Canyon was a blast (that's where I almost hit the cow). Fuel economy was MUCH better than 6 months ago when the car had 5,000 miles (19,000) now, I think I did about 23MPG.
Fun stuff: Hitting the limiter in Utah on twisty mountain roads, playing with a Porsche.

Bad news with a silver lining: I-15 approaching Mojave, road construction using pavement cutters, I got sprayed with liquefied concrete mist, the whole car speckled with it (hard to see luckily). It won't wash off and when I used a squeegee to get it off the windshield, it acted like sand paper and etched the glass with very fine scratches all over. I'm told that if I talk to the CHP I will be reimbursed for the damage (the detail shop did a test and was able to get it off the paint, $400 for the detail work). So it looks like I'll get a full detail/wax job (just what I needed!) at the State's expense. Hopefully a new windshield too. And of course I have the whole thing on tape which shows this cloud of crap engulfing all the cars.

I'll be posting pics and clips later once the 1001 Turns of Mt Hamilton is done.

It's great to be back in the Bay Area!!!
Old 06-03-2001, 06:27 AM
AudiWorld Uber User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Cool. I'm envious;-)