A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

Rotor rubs on caliper, any ideas?

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2013, 07:11 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default 321mm rotors

There are two type of rotors with the same diameter, here are the dimensions for the HP dual piston Bendix part #PRT5555
Attached Images  
Old 03-02-2013, 07:15 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default 321mm Rotors

Here is the rotor for the single piston Bendix part #PRT5408
Attached Images  
Old 03-02-2013, 07:19 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Here is the source

I used this Bendix site for reference and found that the 2002 models seem to have a difference in the 321mm rotors vs 2001

http://www.bendixcatalog.com/PartDet...=Brake%20Rotor
Old 03-05-2013, 07:01 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by kramerica72
turning a rotor doesnt change the diameter, only the thickness...
The thickness and/or offset is the problem, not the diameter. Like I said, it's the front face rubbing, not the outer edge.
Old 03-05-2013, 07:19 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by jcman
Did you check your PR brake codes?

The reason I ask is that all C5 front brake rotor diameters are in this order 288mm, 312mm, 321mm FNR G60/PR code(1LA&1LG), "321mm HP2/PR code(1LX&T7Z)" and then the all mighty 365mm brembos.

Never heard of a 320mm rotor on a C5.
According to the tag on my Audi service record manual, my code is 1LX which is what the rotors I bought are made for. The two rotors you show are the (approximately) 16.7mm offset and the 22.7mm offset. Supposedly the 22.7mm offset is only for the A6 with the 4.2L. But like I said, the Audi parts department said a 320x30mm rotor is called out for my car. He gave me a print-out with the part number that I mentioned before, I have this at home and I will scan it when I get back. Either way, that rotor from Audi is identical to the rotor from blauparts and to the rotor I took off my car (except for the turned down thickness) and neither of the new rotors fit without rubbing on the caliper. It seems the rotor dimensions are correct so something else must be different. I did change the cv shafts a year and a half ago or so but I am not sure how that would affect this situation although its in the same area. I installed the blauparts rotors with 2 mm thick washers in between where the caliper mounts to the upright and it centered the rotor perfectly and so far there are no issues but it should not have to be this way...
Old 03-05-2013, 07:23 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by 4Driver4
I'd take a good look at the way the rotor is mounted on the knuckle.
Believe me, I have taken a close look at the whole situation and I just cannot find any irregularities or anything that could be done differently.
Old 03-05-2013, 07:32 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Just Me
Mine, i believe, are 312s with the stated lucas HP2s

Its either the wrong rotor or a caliper improperly assembled.

Grant
Even the rotor straight from Audi rubs in the same spot. The caliper assembly has no effect because where its rubbing is a solid chunk of metal. Once it is bolted, it does not move and there is virtually no play in how it bolts to the upright. It is not rubbing on the floating part at all. Also, in all the research I have done for this I do not recall coming across a 312mm rotor for the dual piston lucas calipers.
Old 03-05-2013, 09:10 AM
AudiWorld Super User

do you have the old rotor? is this front or rear?

if it is rear, measure the hat height on the old rotor and get back to me, i literally have a spare rear rotor set in my garage that were the wrong hat height someone just gave to me!
Old 03-05-2013, 10:40 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by 2.7Lturbo
do you have the old rotor? is this front or rear?

if it is rear, measure the hat height on the old rotor and get back to me, i literally have a spare rear rotor set in my garage that were the wrong hat height someone just gave to me!
Yes I have the old rotors. I am talking about the front. I don't need rotors. I would like to understand why the correct rotors for my car do not fit.
Old 03-05-2013, 11:21 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by kjwhite04
Yes I have the old rotors. I am talking about the front. I don't need rotors. I would like to understand why the correct rotors for my car do not fit.
because audi can, does, and will continue to, switch and supersede parts without warning or good documentation.

take my car, my front axles have a standard cv join on the inside, same as the outside. according to audi, they shouldn't exist on my car in the USA, but a select number during the split year (2002) were built with EU spec parts due to not having the USA spec parts from the manufacturer soon enough.

fast forward, now when i look i cant find parts for that axle, and im pretty much SOL when the inner goes as while the cv joint can be replaced with a standard part, the retaining clips are not being sold in the USA anymore and i cant source them from germany.

long story short, sometimes audi does crap behinds the scenes and it pisses everyone off, my advice would ne to get ETKA ASAP. its the only thing that keeps me somewhat sane

Quick Reply: Rotor rubs on caliper, any ideas?