A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

Rubbing sound -driver side wheel well

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2012, 06:44 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rubbing sound -driver side wheel well

I tried searching the forums for this issue but did not have any luck.

When I drive the car, I am hearing a rubbing noise coming from the back driver side wheel well. It sounds like metal on metal scraping. I can only hear it when I have the windows down. It is a relatively new noise. It has started within the last month. I havent driven the car much but I am starting to worry about it.

The e brake line was removed from the back wheels due to a previous issue, so it is not the ebrake sticking. The brake pads are in good shape on all the wheels. Any ideas for me to troubleshoot this issue?
Old 04-10-2012, 07:06 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It is probably the dust shield. Just push it inward away from the rotor, and the scraping noise should stop
Old 04-13-2012, 06:53 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I pushed on the dust shield and it seems to have helped somewhat. I can still hear a rubbing noise when i am driving through the alley behind my home when the close proximity to the walls reflect the sound. any other ideas?
Old 04-13-2012, 08:01 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 615 Likes on 512 Posts
Default Ideas:

1. Brake caliper is hanging up internally. Disconnected e brake (not a good idea beyond very short term to diagnose) is a possible further hint brakes may be jamming mechanically. If rotor is warmer than expected/other side with just modest driving, that's a clue about a caliper problem..

2. Failing wheel bearing starting to announce itself.
Old 05-30-2012, 08:31 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default update

I do not drive very often as I take public trans to work everyday but when I was driving yesterday with a friend, he told me that without a doubt the noise is the rotor grinding up against either the caliper or break pad. I checked the pad thickness and it is still a good pad. Any suggestions on how to diagnose this issue? Is it easy to take a caliper off of a wheel to check for problems?
Old 05-30-2012, 09:00 AM
Tech Guru

Received 107 Likes on 98 Posts

How is the backsplash (aka shield)?
Old 05-30-2012, 10:14 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Im not quite sure what that is.. I tried looking that terminology on google and didnt really get anywhere. :/
Old 05-30-2012, 10:15 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

if you meant the dust shield- it looks fine and there was no rubbing
Old 05-30-2012, 12:58 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I would jack the wheel you suspect and spin it by hand. See if you can hear the noise then. You may be able to pinpoint it more this way also.

Once you have done that, I would remove the wheel and spin just the rotors - you may be able to see something binding, or it may not spin at all.

Sometimes the inner pads where and there is plenty left on the outter pads.

Sometimes the wheel bearings are going and will cause this noise, or will cause the rotor to not sit flush with the hub and it will rub the caliper at certain points as it spins. Sometimes the caliper is seizing.

Checking the rotation of the wheel should be easy, and removing calipers, break pads, etc. is not much more difficult than removing your wheel. 2 bolts will release the caliper, 2 more will release the caliper bracket, and then the rotor will just pop off...
Old 06-01-2012, 05:34 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

thanks, i will give that a try!

Quick Reply: Rubbing sound -driver side wheel well