A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

Running against the M3 - a real world perspective

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2003, 10:03 AM
Rest In Peace

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Running against the M3 - a real world perspective

On the way in to work this morning, I happened across an M3 dozing behind some slow-moving traffic, showing no sign whatsoever of overtaking them. Until I overtook him, that is.

He came out very close behind me and followed me through in the gap I was overtaking in. I was able to put a little bit of distance between us in 3rd, but not a lot.

We then got held up by more traffic. We cleared it at about 50mph and I took off in 3rd again. Once more, he was close behind and not losing ground much at all, although I only took it up to 3500rpm in 4th, so after a quick blast up to nearly 120 we settled into a 90mph cruise.

I saw some more traffic in the distance that I calculated I could take before the next hill if I went for it, and I figured there'd be room for the M3 to follow me through as well if he kept as close as he was.

I dropped into 4th and went, but this time I kept the in 4th past 4000rpm and 120mph, and the M3 was falling back from the start. I wondered if he'd row down another gear and try to keep up, but despite building up as much speed as he could, he realised that he'd be struggling and backed down.

In summary: An M3 will be on your tail into 100mph and beyond, but I feel it takes some hard work and high rev upshifts. Beyond that, the torque of the RS 6 plus it's higher gearing means it seems it can keep applying speed faster than the M3.

Or I could be completely wrong, you never know. ;-)
Old 04-01-2003, 10:18 AM

Default Question

Sounds like fun, Chris. Curious about the speed limit on the road in question.
Old 04-01-2003, 10:23 AM
Rest In Peace

Default "Hi, this is Chris. I'm sorry I'm not in right now...

If wou wish to leave a message not asking about specific roads and speed limits, please speak after the tone."

<i>Beeeeep!</i>

<small>All speeds, roads, experiences and other information presented here are purely for informational purposes only, and may or may not be factually correct. Are you with the police or something?</small>
Old 04-01-2003, 10:24 AM

Default I enjoy reading your posts...

because I feel you convey a fair, balanced accounting; you are willing to discuss Audi faults as well as it's positives.
Old 04-01-2003, 10:27 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default In the Speed GT Series (American GT racing) the M3s appeared to be lapping faster than the RS6s...

But, that's not the real world. =) It was really interesting, however, to watch what the cars do when stripped and tuned for racing. To be fair to the RS6s, the race cars were just built, and have had no test time. Given that the team has won the prior two year's championships with their old S4s, they should be able to make a fearful RS6 race car. It should be an interesting season to watch. Of course, I'm rooting strongly for the Audis. =)
Old 04-01-2003, 10:31 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

And on NASCAR, a Ford Taurus can go 210 MPH !!
Old 04-01-2003, 10:37 AM

Default Understood. How 'bout this....

What is a typical speed limit for freeways in your neck of the woods?. I've driven the autobahn but have never visited/driven in GB.
Old 04-01-2003, 10:40 AM
Rest In Peace

Default There's limits to how much weight you can remove from an RS 6

That's one <b>very heavy</b> engine and transmission setup to race tune.
Old 04-01-2003, 11:22 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Re: Running against the M3 - a real world perspective

Hi iam a personal friend of both pobst and galati i raced miatas with them in the early 90s
i was present at sebring and a test day so far with galati,,the cars do need more test time,,,but if you watched the launch galati did at the start of the sebring race it was awesome..too bad he broke later but thats ok,,thats racing, the deal is the brakes the rotors are large and the 8 piston calipers are very good,,but the rotors are thin ,,iam not sure what thickness , not sure if the rules would let them.The cars are heavy 3200 lbs.
On race day the team decided to get more air to the brakes, they cut holes in the middle of the bumper..on both cars. that may have helped Randy get 3rd on the podium,,because they were talking about the brakes not lasting. Randy also said he really likes the torque of the engines..and he had a great launch himself at the very start...very kool ,,,Oh Do i miss racing with them,,i actualy beat Randy once at Roebling road Savannah Ga.He was real good it took me i think 4 races to do that. oh well Champion Audi is really a 1st Class Act they will have it all togther real soon iam sure,for the next race.
Thanks for the Hat RP...if you read this..dg
Old 04-01-2003, 11:49 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Did you write the "Virgin Cell Phone" commercial.......?

Are you really Richard Branson, I mean he's the type of guy that would go looking for runways and bunkers.... ;-)

Quick Reply: Running against the M3 - a real world perspective