A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

Running against the M3 - a real world perspective

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2003, 12:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just want to say; it's harder to follow than to lead

because the person who follow has to react to the person in the front so there is a slit second lag plus with manual one has to choose the correct gear in anticipation with what the leader is going to do.

Very nice article. I would think two average drivers the RS6 would have an edge everyday driving environment simply because speed comes so effortless with RS6 plus is an automatic and loads of low end torque.

However, I have to say on the race track with non slippery condition M3 should have an advantage just because it's much lighter.
Old 04-01-2003, 01:09 PM
jc
AudiWorld Super User

I met randy at sebring. Great guy..We talked for 10 minutes about racing.
Old 04-01-2003, 01:25 PM
Craggy Old Man

Default Would love to run vs an E46 M3 coupe, ran a Cab once before

The coupe is slightly faster than the cab. WOuld like to try the 1/4 mile with one and then from a roll to 1??mph. But not alot of places to do that safely around here.
Old 04-01-2003, 01:28 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good reply - ;-)
Old 04-02-2003, 01:20 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Only, they're not really Tauri... no comparison to the Speed series.
Old 04-02-2003, 07:01 AM

First time out for RS6. Years for the M3. Just wait.
Old 04-02-2003, 07:44 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default We have a legal limit of 70mph on all out of town dual carriageways and motorways ...........

they sometimes are limited to lower speeds due to level of traffic etc...

The roads in North Lincolnshire may well have their own law but I am not aware of that. In fact sadly, the A1 (old London to Ediburgh road) in Lincolnshire is one of the most dangerous road in the country.....

It does pay for us all to remember once in a while, cars do bend.

It is no use having shiny paint, bumper recalls and bose speakers if you wrap yourself round a tree. Just think sometimes, everyone who has an accident did not think they would when they left home that morning, just like you. When you kiss your wife goodbye as you leave, you fully expect to see each other that evening - but just think what it would mean to either of you if you were killed or if someone driving fast killed your wife.

Forget all the things you are planning, holidays, house improvements, moving, kids at school, summer days out, plans at work, wishing your mum happy birthday....it just stops.

This is in no way a personal thought aimed at anyone, just it seems many posts use speed as the subject matter and at some point it will become unacceptable to drive fast on public roads. I would not drive now, like I used to do. I am not saying I always stick to the speed limits but I do think the nuber of people killed and injured on raods worldwide has to be reduced.

I guess I am just a bit serious at the moment, but just look at how many of us talk about speed. Ours cars bend like all the rest and people carry on getting killed.

I saw a man get killed when I was 17 and first driving, 25 years ago, my sister saw a man get killed near Kings Lynn on Sunday night with his little girl in the car. She had to sit and comfort the girl for two hours while they cut the body free.

Not fun.

Think before you drive fast, every time, that's all.
Old 04-02-2003, 11:10 PM
Rest In Peace

Default NP, just I only recently posted pics without registration number blanked out

Might have to rethink that policy! ;-)
Old 04-02-2003, 11:41 PM
Rest In Peace

Default You make a good point Edd (long)

There are too many people killed and injured on the country's roads, and as road congestion gets worse, something needs to be done to prevent more deaths.

I personally don't believe in the government's line "Speed kills". That is a powerful statement, and seriously mis-represents the truth. The government's "facts" behind that statement come from TRL, but TRL's figures only show that speed is the <i>primary contributory factor</i> in a small percentage of road traffic accidents (RTAs). The primary factor that causes a road accident is far more likely to be driver error, inattention or actions of other road users.

Of course speed is a factor in RTAs, if all cars did zero miles an hour permanently, there should be very few RTAs, apart from incidents caused when a horse-drawn carriage mows down cyclists etc. So the fact that some speed of some kind is involved in pretty much all RTAs gives the government licence to say "Speed kills" apparently.

I've seen people cause accidents at well below the speed limit, where all vehicles involved have been travelling under the limit. I've seen many more near-misses. If everyone was unable or unwilling to go above the speed limit and accidents kept on happening, would the speed limits keep being decreased? Would we end up back at zero mph?

My personal moral view is that I should drive safely, but do not have to always keep to the speed limit to do so. I do keep to the the speed limits (as far as possible given the lack of fine graduated indication on the speedo) where there is a numerical limit posted, paying special attention to schools, residential areas, parks and other places where pedestrians may be liable to enter the road suddenly. I don't see that where there is just the National Speed Limit posted, I should have to ridgidly stick to the limit regardless of conditions.

I understand the need to drive to the conditions and within my vehicle's capabilities. I read the road ahead to look for risks well in advance (as police drivers are trained to do).

I am a considerate driver - I do not get too close to the vehicle in front, I don't squeeze past bicycles and motorbikes, I wait until there is a gap to overtake normally. I've even been known to let "chasing" cars overtake me and go rather than provoke them into a "race" that they put themselves at risk with, as I did when an Impreza tried to race me on a very rainy night and was obviously going beyond his capabilities to even keep up with the pace I was setting - I slowed down and moved far left to let him pass and stayed at a reduced speed until he'd gone so he didn't keep pushing it.

I don't drive the same way on all roads, I am wary of the condition of the road and my familiarity with it. My commute is a regular road that I've been doing for the last 8 years and I know where visibility is good and where it's bad, where the road surface isn't good enough to maintain speed and how long each section takes to cover and therefore where the best and safest overtaking opportunities are. I still get overtaken after 8 years by idiots (often in white vans or BMWs) that overtake in places I wouldn't consider safe in the RS 6.

Unfortunately, such a thing an an Idiot Camera hasn't been invented yet, otherwise we could replace speed cameras with them and really make a difference to road safety.
Old 04-03-2003, 03:31 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default I agree......

I have been driving since 22/02/78 and I have never had an accident (except reversing into the a Golf about 10 yrs ago - no damage to mine). A lot of my driving used to long distance solo stuff - this is when I drive fastest generally. Some years I managed to notch up 45k - 50k miles, and that would make me very highly likely to have an accident - so you are right, speed is usually a factor in an accident but more often it is because it was combined with a more unfortunate ingredient - in-experience.

DRiving fast with an active approach can be safe, driving fast with a reactive approach can be leathal. In other words you have to have more up tour sleive than just quick reactions.

Quick Reply: Running against the M3 - a real world perspective