A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

S6 Av breakin complete. questions and comments...

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2001, 05:05 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default S6 Av breakin complete. questions and comments...

Finally got past 1k mi breakin while being as good as I'm able to be, limiting the revs and all Now that I'm revving it ALL the way out occasionally, at the very upper end of the rev range, the engine seems a bit of a disappointment. the engine feels as though it runs out of pull from around 6k to redline. Is this considered normal? Will making it freer breathing help? (Cat-backs going on this week, I hope). RALF! Do ya hear me sir? Where is the optimal shift-point for this car that revs to 7200k?
Also, I've been paying particular attention lately to the ride feel in general, and the slight initial floatiness in the suspension travel while going over, for instance, speed bumps. It IS a little soft, and a little floaty. Prolly just used to the much firmer 996 Turbo w/RoW susp. Going only about 10-15 mph over speed bumps is a good way to watch the front end rebound, (and bounce). The suspension will also get a makeover soon w/KM coilovers. This mod should firm up the ride just about right and lower 1 1/2 in. And last but not least, those quirky, (imho) Aluminum mirrors will come off in favor of painted ones, and the roof rails are comin' off too, as I'll never want to put anything up there anyway. Comments? Opinions? tia
Old 12-16-2001, 05:38 AM
AudiWorld Super User

What will you do with you Aluminium mirrors, if you sell them I'm possibly interested...
Old 12-16-2001, 05:50 AM

Re: Sure, $400/ea :&lt No, seriously, must keep all original equipment for next owner
Old 12-16-2001, 06:42 AM

Default I usually don't read magazines, buuuuut, from what I've read, a lot of your "pull" should come

at the high end, 6000-7000 RPM's, where the max HP is. I recall that Andre had the same concerns until he got a few more kilometers on his S6, then he was a happy boy- until he bought his son's S3.

Of course Andre is never completely happy, so he's now done the chip, software re-map and CAI, for even more power. You just "know" the brakes will be next.

I'd keep the roof rails on because they somehow "finish" the wagon look. Without them it'll look like a hearse, IM(not so)HO. :-)
Old 12-16-2001, 07:14 AM

Default Why does the Sedan look ok w/out rails, but Wagon doesn't?

I don't get it. I realize the roofline is longer in the Av, but why does that make a difference? btw, the decision to take off rails isn't final....yet.
Old 12-16-2001, 07:18 AM

If that's the case, then must be the taller gearing that makes it seem "out of breath" in 3rd, 4th
Old 12-16-2001, 07:32 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default May still be a bit tight up top, although 1k miles is "broken in" per the Audi manual,

most engines require more than that before they really loosen up. I only have a bit more than that on mine and find that it goes through the upper region without any notable loss in the level of pull. Seems very consistant all through the upper ranges. The torque curve on Andre's dyno run (pre mods) shows the torque is very gradually and smoothly falling from about 3800 rpm on up, so I would not expect any noticable increase up top. It would probably be more correct to say that it falls off less at those RPMs than a less tuned engine might. I don't have a vast quantity of experience with the S6 top end yet either but it seems like a smooth constant pull on my butt dyno.....FWIW Horsepower is really just an RPM and load dependent number that quantifies the amount of work an engine is doing at a given moment. The butt dyno, and the real ones, register "pull" in torque. That is why the amazing thing about Andre's mods (to me) is that he got the slope of the torque curve to actually rise above 5800RPM. YMMV, I don't have very many more miles than you.
Old 12-16-2001, 07:47 AM

Since it's so subjective, do a photochop and a Poll- Then decide for yourself.
Old 12-16-2001, 07:51 AM

Default You're right Gerry, 1k isn't fully broke in. Just officially green lights the loud pedal

to go above and beyond the break-in rpm limits GRADUALLY. To be honest, I haven't revved the sh*t of out it much to date. Like you probably, hitting 1k on the odo doesn't mean going to redline in every gear from that point on. I agree, the engine still needs to be "seasoned" further.
fwiw, I'm going to try to record a before and after sound file for stock, then aftermarket exhaust, in case anyone's interested. I honestly STILL don't know what brand I have on order. Ralf recommended it, and that's the one I'm trying.

(Oh Raaaalf, where's my exhaust buddy?)
Old 12-16-2001, 07:55 AM

Default Done the comparo already. More ppl in favor of keeping rails on

Well, I'll have the "filler" strips at the ready in case I decide to yank 'em.

Quick Reply: S6 Av breakin complete. questions and comments...