A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

S6 Dealer Pricing...

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2001, 09:00 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Agree, a few early ones will be sold above MSRP...but MSRP will soon...

become the norm and if they start to stack up...$1-2k off MSRP...but that'll be almost a year from now. Here, in NorCal, most will sell at MSRP even long after introduction, if the S4/Avant are any model. MSRP is OK, but no way would I pay DAV for any car...I don't want anything that bad...and it's just the principle of it.
Old 08-05-2001, 10:45 AM

Default Re: Speaking from S4 Avant experience...

I agree that waiting would probably be best. Unfortunately, Audi's tend to depreciate a lot during the first year, therefore I'd much rather wait to pay under MSRP.
Old 08-05-2001, 11:09 AM
AudiWorld Uber User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Depends on location and allocation. Some dealers will have cars but not enough clients.

In Ca, demand is high and discounting minimal. If you don't mind taking a risk, you can try and wait for a car that has sat on the lot a while ( if that ever happens in your area ). You will need to troll the local Audi lots once or twice a week.

Keep in mind that if demand ( dealers don't feel cars are moving fast enough - flooring is murder on pricey cars ) on is low, AoA will only give us one year of production. That boils down to 600 to 700 cars at the most for all of N.A.

I would respectfully suggest that if a $1000 discount on a 58K car is so important, maybe you should have other priorities. If a discount is so important to you, you can buy a bigger discount/car with some other brands.
Old 08-05-2001, 02:38 PM

Default Re: Depends on location and allocation. Some dealers will have cars but not enough clients.

Some people don't mind taking the huge depreciation hit when buying a hot first year car. While I have the resources to buy the S6, I personally don't like losing that much money in one year. I bought my wife a 00 A6 4.2 for 4k less than MSRP and took delivery on New years eve of 1999, so I'll take my chances on waiting on the S6 to fetch a bit less than MSRP before purchasing. Or maybe I will buy something else as I current have a M3 convertible on order (one year wait) at MSRP.
Old 08-05-2001, 03:25 PM
AudiWorld Uber User

Default The less practical M3 at MSRP ? But not the S6 ?

Guess I would consider the 'play car' as less useful and thus is worth less in my head. You thinking that you will wait and see what the M conv. will be like, and decide then ?

Are you thinking to find a used S6 ? As mentioned, there won't be many around, nor will the price for a new one move much off of MSRP in 1 year after intro ( see S4 Avant ). If you go to the S car forum ( see links here on AW ), you will see that the old "S" wagon is considered even more desireable than the sedan.

Good luck making up your mind, and enjoy whichever car you choose.
Old 08-05-2001, 04:09 PM

Default Re: The less practical M3 at MSRP ? But not the S6 ?

April,
I live in the northeast, there are currently 4-5 S4 avants at the dealer where I get my wife's car serviced and the dealer is currently running an ad in the local paper trying to get rid of them and when the A6 4.2 came out the dealer weren't budging of MSRP, but about 3 months later I paid 47.3K for a car that listed for 51.5k. So going my past experience here in suburban philadelphia, I stand pat and see what happens. Yeah, I would definately pay MSRP for an M3 given that the car is fetching at least 5K over MSRP on ebay or on the bimmer.org website and that will definately be the case for at least the next two years as there is a two year wait for the M3 coupe.
Old 08-05-2001, 04:56 PM
AudiWorld Uber User

Default What I mean, is that

is the perceived value ( M3 ) in relation to MSRP is that important to you ? Are you planning to turn around and resell the car to make some money ? If you trade your cars often, then I do see your point. If you keep the cars past the intro of the next generation, it doesn't seem to matter much. My experience is based upon Ca conditions. Here, you can pick up a late '90's M3 in the low 20K range. When the TTs came out, we had a long waiting list and some of those people did turn around and sell them for a profit. Now they are available and sell for MSRP or less. Lots of people are bound to drop off of a list that stretches for years. Demand will drop and so will prices.

To me, I would buy the car that best suits what I intend to use it for. Value is based upon the relevance of the functionality. I'm sure you already have several cars. How often will you use the features that make these cars special ( cargo capacity and all weather ability, or drop top ) ? Will either of your choices bring redundancy to the table ?

Your dealer, having been burned by the S4 incident, may be less likely to even apply for allocation from AoA. Total production for S4s in N.A over 2 years, was 9000 cars. The S6 sales demographic will be reflected more closely by the S8 ( slightly older, more financially stable, independent thinker ) than the S4 ( youngest in super sports sedan class, employed by others and linked to IT ). Expected total S6 production over several years, will be 2000 cars. The S6 will be far more exclusive than the M3, even if the general public does not attach as much recognition and monetary mystiqe to the car.

Like I said, buy the car that meets your priorities and enjoy the CAR - not the money you save, make or lose.
Old 08-06-2001, 07:27 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

My deal is MSRP. No markup.
Old 08-07-2001, 06:33 PM

Respectfully suggest that April has training in negotiating "ploys" & "gambits" !