A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

Safety O ring CV joint 2001 Audi A6

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2013, 11:58 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 101 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by Jeff-AudiUSAParts
I believe it's shown in the ETKA parts diagram that your dealer should have seen. Google p/n 441407297 images and it's the 4th picture from the left top row. It is 4.30 and faster for you to get that at a VW or Audi dealer near you.
Google is your friend as well...just google the p/n!!

http://www.vwparts2go.com/oem-part/a...ring/441407297
Old 08-09-2013, 08:02 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks all, but I don't think that is what the mechanic is referring to. He specifically told me the ring he is looking for goes inside the cv joint - inside the grooved edges . I already got hte boot lock ring as part of the boot and joint kit and he says that is not what is preventing him from installing the cv joint. He did get the boot installed though.

He suggestes buying the whole axle assembly that way he doesn't have to worry about the missing piece. What do you guys think.
Old 08-09-2013, 08:20 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 175 Likes on 165 Posts

Once again, nothing goes there. I have done (strictly as an amateur) about 20 of these axles and nothing ever goes there.

Time for you to find a competent mechanic.
Old 08-09-2013, 08:46 AM
Banned

I agree with the above poster. I've done quite a few of these for friends and know of two styles to hold the cv to the shaft. One is the snap ring that stays on the cv joint as shown in the OP's picture in the first post, other is the wire snap ring that stays on the axle shaft and should never need to be replaced unless removed and weakened from that process. I have the diagram to your car, not a great one and can't be exploded to give more detail without losing the part number descriptions.
9a doesn't have a part number so doesn't apply to your car in this case.
9 is a metal concave type metal washer that butts up to a step on the axle shaft.
10 is the outer clamp for the small end of the boot.
11 is if I remember correctly a plastic conical buffer for lack of better words that goes between the metal washer #9 and the inner hub of the cv joint.
12 is the circlip that we all I think thought you were looking for.
I know you started out this post saying your mechanic needs something that is part of the axle assembly and not available seperately. Like others have now said I don't think what he wants is even in the new axle assembly, I say that because of the only two methods I've seen to hold the cv to the shaft. I bounced this off a tech and they agree.

Name:  80913A601AXLE_zps7f4f4b97.jpg
Views: 289
Size:  30.1 KB
Old 08-09-2013, 10:33 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I agree with the above poster. I've done quite a few of these for friends and know of two styles to hold the cv to the shaft. One is the snap ring that stays on the cv joint as shown in the OP's picture in the first post, other is the wire snap ring that stays on the axle shaft and should never need to be replaced unless removed and weakened from that process. I have the diagram to your car, not a great one and can't be exploded to give more detail without losing the part number descriptions.
9 is a metal concave type metal washer that butts up to a step on the axle shaft.
10 is the outer clamp for the small end of the boot.
11 is if I remember correctly a plastic conical buffer for lack of better words that goes between the metal washer #9 and the inner hub of the cv joint.
12 is the circlip that we all I think thought you were looking for.
I know you started out this post saying your mechanic needs something that is part of the axle assembly and not available seperately. Like others have now said I don't think what he wants is even in the new axle assembly, I say that because of the only two methods I've seen to hold the cv to the shaft. I bounced this off a tech and they agree.

thanks a lot. Is it possible that he is looking for a snap ring or the wire snap ring and it didn't come with the joint and boot kit?

I spoke to another mechanic over the phone and he was talking about the snap ring too .

Now the only option I have left is see if the dealer carries the snap ring or get an aftermarket axle assembly.

In your diagram, what is the part number for the snap ring?
Old 08-09-2013, 10:37 AM
Banned

#12 is the snap ring that should go on the groove that is cut into the axle shaft. It would stay on that shaft when the cv joint is removed. You do have that on there right now don't you? It sound like you do, and that your mechanic is telling you that you are missing something other than the #12 snap ring. It's the #12 snap ring that I quoted in an earlier post.
Old 08-09-2013, 11:10 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

[QUOTE=Jeff-AudiUSAParts;24474622One is the snap ring that stays on the cv joint as shown in the OP's picture in the first post, other is the wire snap ring that stays on the axle shaft and should never need to be replaced unless removed and weakened from that process.[/QUOTE]

From what I understand , #12 is the wire snap ring that stays on the axle and you were talking about another snap ring that stays on the cv joint.

I found another link online and please see point # 8 in the link. is that the same as # 12 in the parts diagram?
http://www.audizine.com/forum/showth...nd-most-Audi-s)
Old 08-09-2013, 11:39 AM
Banned

I see step 9 and 10 as being #12 from my diagram, but yes is the answer to your question assuming you meant step 9 and not 8. Circlip 12 is clearly shown in that real photo installed on the shaft. In that other photo you see the metal concave washer and the conical plastic part too. Thanks for that link, I was hoping my description was accurate as I was going from memory.
Old 08-09-2013, 11:54 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I will show the pictures in the link to the mechanic and ask him if that is what he is looking for .

But i'm still not sure about one point you made,
"One is the snap ring that stays on the cv joint as shown in the OP's picture in the first post, other is the wire snap ring that stays on the axle shaft and should never need to be replaced unless removed and weakened from that process."

If #12 is the wire snap on the axle, which one is the other snap ring that stays on the cv joint?
Old 08-09-2013, 12:35 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 101 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by adivee
I will show the pictures in the link to the mechanic and ask him if that is what he is looking for .

But i'm still not sure about one point you made,
"One is the snap ring that stays on the cv joint as shown in the OP's picture in the first post, other is the wire snap ring that stays on the axle shaft and should never need to be replaced unless removed and weakened from that process."

If #12 is the wire snap on the axle, which one is the other snap ring that stays on the cv joint?
The other kind is not in the picture. It's not on your car.

Quick Reply: Safety O ring CV joint 2001 Audi A6