A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

Seat Memory Weirdness - Seat Back Has a Mind of Its Own

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2007, 03:06 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Seat Memory Weirdness - Seat Back Has a Mind of Its Own

For some reason all of a sudden, every time a driver pushes a seat memory button (or clicks a remote control connected to seat memory) on my 2000 A6, the seat, mirrors, and steering wheel will adjust properly just as they always have, except that the seat back insists on coming all the way forward. This happens for every driver's stored memory configuration. Resetting the memory hasn't helped, nor has unplugging the seat connectors and replugging them. Any ideas what's going on or how to fix this problem? Thanks.
Old 11-18-2007, 05:03 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No idea, but mine does the same thing.
Old 11-18-2007, 05:51 AM
AudiWorld Expert

try swicthing keys
Old 11-21-2007, 02:17 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Replacing the switch fixed similar weirdness in my old car...

In the old Avant, any seat position requested (1,2,3) would send the seat all the way forward. If you didn't know to press the stop button, you'd be crushed, haha...
Anyway, I replaced the switch and it worked fine from then on.
Old 11-21-2007, 06:29 PM

Default Question about removing the switch......

My understanding is that it comes out by gently prying up from the side closest to the door pocket (by the "1" button). However, is the notch that's located just under the edge of the switch for depressing a "catch" or tab of some sort? Or is just a "pull and pray" situation?

My memory functions haven't worked since I got the car, lights have lit up on the switch once (for about 1/2 minute) and the steering wheel "auto-tilt" feature hasn't worked either. Hoping it's just a bad connection at the switch itself.
Old 12-17-2007, 12:28 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default FIXED

I have apparently fixed my possessed seat back using VAG-COM. Let me point out from the start that a VAG-COM scan turned up no stored DTCs for the driver's seat memory. As always, YMMV on this procedure and I assume no responsibility whatsoever if you fool around with VAG-COM and mess up something.

Steps I took:

- Put key in ignition and turn to "Run" position so that dashboard warning lamps come on
- Connect VAG-COM to car and launch software
- Choose "Select Control Module"
- Click "36 - Seat Mem. Drvr."
- Click "Adaptation - 10"
- Enter 00 in "Channel Number:" if it's not already there and click "Read" (this should produce a notice in the read-out boxes about how saving with channel 00 entered will reset the module to factory settings)
- Click "Save" (your seat memory should now be blank and your memory buttons should be ineffective)
- Click "Done, Go Back" and reverse out of the remaining screens until you get to VAG-COM home
- Disconnect VAG-COM from the OBD plug
- Set your seat, mirrors, and steering wheel to where you want them and store your settings by holding down the "M" button and then pressing your desired stored memory position button (1, 2, or 3) until you hear the clicks
- Adjust your seat bottom and seat back, then press the seat memory button you just set. If all goes well, your seat back should now behave as it did before the demons came along

Good luck!