A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

secondary air sytem code after aux water pump change

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2010, 07:03 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default secondary air sytem code after aux water pump change

Hey guys I'm new to the forum. Being my first post, I'd like to say this site has been a wealth of good information.

I have a 01 A6 2.7T, that I just changed the auxilary water pump under the intake manifold. No problem, as well I was extremely careful to make sure not to damage anything, but what I did damage was the non return valve going to the fuel pressure regulator, intake manifold. The plastic pieces broke, I was able to super glue it back together, and of course during the install of the non return valve PN 078611933b, it broke again. ERRR. So I went ahead hooked up the hoses, clamped them, then took some 60 sec epoxy and it seemed to hold, but I think I may have a vacuum leak there. I'll be going to the stealership tomorrow to order a new one to replace it.

Aside from that the only other issue I had was disconnecting the electrical connector from the secondary air pump. Realizing after all was said and done I probably didn't have to disconnect it. Just remove the top two bolts, and the nut underneath to be able to move it out of the way to lift up the intake manifold. I thought I may have heard a hissing sound when I did get the electrical connector disconnected??? Or just me.

Wondering if it could have possibly blown the fuse for the SAP, and would like to know if anyone can tell me where it is located, and or how to access it.

The code that came up on my el cheapo AutoBone code scanner was a P1432, I believe...

Any help would be much appreciated,...
Old 04-15-2010, 07:33 PM
AudiWorld Member

17840/P1432/005170 - Secondary Air Injection Solenoid Valve (N112): Open Circuit
Possible Causes

* Secondary Air Injection Solenoid Valve (N112) faulty
* Secondary Air Pump Relay (J299) faulty

Possible Solutions

* Check Secondary Air Injection Solenoid Valve (N112)
* Check Secondary Air Pump Relay (J299)

Sounds like you may have damaged the connector? There are only 2 pins in it and the pins are pretty big so just check them out and the relay is underneath the hood on the driverside to the right of the battery under that protective covering. Remove the weather strip and that piece of plastic should pull back and lift up a little, there will be about 4 screws holding it in, just remove them and it'll be a larger fuse kind of in the middle, has a 40 on it. There really shouldnt be many in there so just the 1 in the middle and mine was orange with a 40.

Hope that helps

and i know this from my car which is a 00 2.7t so im pretty sure its exactly the same.
Old 04-26-2010, 11:05 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Well I got my new non return valve on the car today, cleared the codes again. Still coming up with the same code. I pulled the cover for the ecu checked the fuse visually and as well checked it with a test light on both sides and I have power coming in and out. I pulled the plug off of the SAP and I don't have any voltage coming to the plug....

Where would the relay for the SAP be located? Any help here would be appreciated. I was extremely careful while doing this and made sure I did not damage any wires during removal and installation of the secondary water pump and intake manifold.

Thought maybe bypassing the SAP and reflashing the ecu with a Revo may be my last resort.

Thanks guys for your continued help and support.
Old 04-28-2010, 12:37 AM
AudiWorld Member

well depending on when u tested for voltage at the saip, the saip is only engaged on cold starts and only stay on for about 30seconds to a minute or so just to blow warm air into the exhaust to warm up the cats faster. So I'd imagine if you werent metered for power during that 30seconds to a minute than it probly wasnt going to recieve power anyways. I forget where the relay is at but once i get home tom ill check the old bently manual for the answer.

You wouldnt be interested in buyin a c5 a6 bently service repair manual off me would u? I just recently traded in my c5 a6 for a b7 a4 (best trade of my life) so I have no use for it. I also have a secondary air injection pump just layin around too if u do find out that the pump is bad.

Ill sell the book for 50$ shipped, lemmi know if ur interested.