A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

It seems like you can't be an Audi lover and even have any respect for American cars. Give your vote

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2003, 02:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default It seems like you can't be an Audi lover and even have any respect for American cars. Give your vote

Hate American cars?
Like them?
No Opinion?
Old 11-16-2003, 02:32 PM
AudiWorld Uber User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Generally hate them. A few exceptions.

While it's not a car I'd want to drive every day, the Corvette Z06s are a helluva lot of performance for the money.

While I realize many are put off by the "stealth fighter inspired" styling, Cadillac seems to be getting a clue. I like the styling, and the XLR and the V8 CTS look promising, a step in the right direction.

There is just something fundamentally different about cars designed in the crucible of 150 mph Autobahns.
Old 11-16-2003, 02:42 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Dislike a lot of them, like some of them. Looking forward to seeing the Cosworth Focus...

Although that will be more of a European car really. No development in the US.

I like the viper and the C5, but none of the sedans are nice looking enough. Some even perform decently now like the LS. Pontiac is taking a step in the right direction with the high-trim level of the grand prix. Although not something I would be interested in.

Jags are pretty nice and Ford has really improved their quality level. But I just think they aren't a real good value. The low end models are just jazzed up ordinary sedans IMO. The nicer ones are too pricey. Although if we continue to see quality issues with the major German manufacturers, look for them steal more market share away.

American pick-up trucks are pretty bad-***. The SS and the F150 are very nice trucks, if that is your thing. I think large SUVs are a bad idea in general so I won't comment on that. So there are really a lot of good American cars. I just think there are just as many crappy ones. Which is more fun to discuss, how great a car is or how crappy another one is? ; )

-st
Old 11-16-2003, 03:09 PM

Default Yes and No.

I'm not much of a foreign car guy. Yeah I own an Audi but it's the wife's daily driver. Nice car but I really like american push rod v-8's. I like bottom end torque and I really hate throttle by wire. But I will give respect where respect is due. Out of all the Audi's I always liked the A6 4.2 the best. Good sized car and a V-8 as well. the RS6 is a fun car to drive. And I do like the new A8. My daily drivers are an 01 Dakota R/T, an 86 Daytona Turbo Z (winter beater, fist FWD car I have ever owned.), and my 02 Harley Davidson Fatboy. If money was no option (and I never had to work on it myself)a Viper would be great, any 2000 up Corvette, or a new SRT Ram. Actually there are way too many cool cars out there for me to list that I would drive. But when push comes to shove I prefer push rod V-8's.
Old 11-16-2003, 03:10 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default re

I think American cars are great. Just as long as I remain fortunate enough that I don't have to drive one.

I still have a 97 Jeep GC limited (well my son drives it @ college) that was a POS from week two of ownership. It was so bad that Chrysler gave me a bumper to bumper 7 year 100K mile warranty in order for me to keep it. There has been no shortage of claims on that warranty. And, I won't own that vehicle one day beyond the term of the contract.

Final thought- If my life goes to sh$^, and I loose it all- I'd drive a Taurus.
Old 11-16-2003, 03:12 PM

Default I have respect for them , the classics.. I have a 59 caddy, 68 Dart GTS convertible ...

a 63 valiant wagon..
Old 11-16-2003, 03:30 PM
Head Cat Herder

Received 85 Likes on 48 Posts

I only like American cars made before 1968...
Old 11-16-2003, 03:31 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Ford GT is the only current American car I have respect for. =)

And even then, while I do believe Ford put a great effort in, I do believe car making takes TALENT and acquired knowledge in addition to effort. The TALENT and knowledge of the Germans and Italians will likely overshadow the GT.

But, it's about the best thing to come out of America in the past 20 years.
Old 11-16-2003, 03:34 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default American cars made between '60 - 64

Give me a '62 Cadillac Coupe DeVille convertible, or a '62 Ford Thunderbird Convertible, or an early '60s Olds Starfire convertible; I dig those cars.

Today's American cars? Eh, can live without them. I have high hopes for the new Chrysler 300 sedan, though.
Old 11-16-2003, 03:57 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Don't care where a car is made. I respect a well engineered and manufactured car. Rules out most...

..American cars. Corvette, CTS-V, GTO (Australian), Ford GT, Crossfire (German) are about it.

There is still a huge engineering gap between a Taurus and a Camry (and an Accord). But as long as Americans are willing to buy trash, they'll keep making trash. I have no doubt that Ford/GM could make as good a car as anyone. They just don't see the need at this point.

Quick Reply: It seems like you can't be an Audi lover and even have any respect for American cars. Give your vote