A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

Serpentine/Timing Belt Repalcement

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2011, 10:10 PM
RGW
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Serpentine/Timing Belt Repalcement

My shop wants $700 to replace the serpentine belt and $2100 to do the timing belt (which would include the serpentine belt).

I thinking of going for the $2100 but I through there were other parts that are wise to replace timing belt time such as the water pump, belt tensioner etc.

Any other suggestion on items to change at the same time the timing belt is changed?

Thanks,
Old 11-30-2011, 10:19 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 174 Likes on 153 Posts

When performing the timing belt maintenance, you should replace all parts that the belt rotates them because any one of them could fail and cause a piston to slam into a handging valve. So, you're correct to replace the items you listed. For the $2100 price tag, the shop should replace everything, including the thermostat, water pump, tensioner, idler, coolant, and of coarse, the toothed belt. Which engine do you have?

Last edited by A6Gary; 11-30-2011 at 10:22 PM.
Old 11-30-2011, 10:35 PM
RGW
AudiWorld Member

I have the 4.2 V8 with 65K miles -- wonderful ride. That's why I don't mind spending the extra money on the timing belt right now.
Old 12-01-2011, 02:52 AM
Tech Guru

Received 107 Likes on 98 Posts

Low mileage for a belt replacement IMHO.

However, I agree with Gary that all related parts should be done if you do the belt. Do not skip the cam adjuster seals, and seriously consider replacing the little plastic pipe by the oil cooler.
Old 12-01-2011, 04:48 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 100 Likes on 77 Posts

They're screwing you for 700 on the serp belt replacement..it's trivial with a TB service. Consider a more honest dealer/shop.
The serp belt replacement should just be for parts and maybe one hour extra labor for replacing serp belt tensioner and idlers.

What year car? 6-7 years and/or 90-105K for a TB is normal, serp belt should last 5-6 years as well.

As for the little cooling pipe...maybe replace but it's huge labor cost and you would just be replacing it with an OEM plastic bit at the dealer unless you forego the dealer/shop warranty and put in a bufkin aluminum pipe. If the car hasn't ever overheated chances are the coolant pipe will go 140K miles and 10 years. I agree it's a weak point but it's relatively reliable and the failure (cracks, leaks) generally gives a lot of warning..i.e., coolant on the floor underneath the passenger side at the front of the engine.
Old 12-01-2011, 06:36 AM
AudiWorld Super User

I agree with the others, but to be clear: when its time for the TB you should do the entire job, meaning:

- timing belt
- water pump
- t-stat
- all rolling parts in contact with the belt (tensioner, idler..)
- serp belt.

The incremental labor for the serp belt is trivial. The 2nd tensioner is .. whatever it is.

You never do the serp belt job stand-alone, unless it breaks. It is not a critical failure (e.g.; when it breaks, nothing bad happens except your car stops running)

OTOH, if the TB breaks, your valves are toast. Many $k

The reason you do the H2O pump etc is that THEY are the cause of the TB failure. It doesn;t just break - its kevlar reinforced rubber.

G
Old 12-01-2011, 06:38 AM
AudiWorld Super User

As written it doesn't say that. It says serp is $700, TB+Serp = $2100. We don't know how much the TB alone is, so we cant come to your conclusion.

Just being fair...

G
Old 12-01-2011, 07:08 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Just Me
I agree with the others, but to be clear: when its time for the TB you should do the entire job, meaning:

- timing belt
- water pump
- t-stat
- all rolling parts in contact with the belt (tensioner, idler..)
- serp belt.

The incremental labor for the serp belt is trivial. The 2nd tensioner is .. whatever it is.

You never do the serp belt job stand-alone, unless it breaks. It is not a critical failure (e.g.; when it breaks, nothing bad happens except your car stops running)

OTOH, if the TB breaks, your valves are toast. Many $k

The reason you do the H2O pump etc is that THEY are the cause of the TB failure. It doesn;t just break - its kevlar reinforced rubber.

G
Can we agree on a definitive list of items that should be changed with the timing belt. In addition to your list I would add

Valve cover gaskets
Camshaft Valley Seals
Rear Camshaft End Cap Seals

anythingelse?

i ask, as i have been bitten by not changing everything, during my last timing belt change, and a definitive list would be very handy indeed.

Apologies if this is already in the forum
Old 12-01-2011, 09:05 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Good point.
Old 12-01-2011, 09:08 AM
AudiWorld Super User

To quote BB...don't fix what ain't broken.
It's one thing to do scheduled maintenance on items such as TB and idlers and serp belts, water pumps, etc., but I have to disagree on Valve cover gaskets, Camshaft Valley Seals and Rear Camshaft End Cap Seals. If they're not leaking leave them alone!

Quick Reply: Serpentine/Timing Belt Repalcement